Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to "calibrate" a new battery

When a Mac laptop's battery has been replaced with a new battery, the laptop's battery gauge must be recalibrated so it will show an accurate indication of battery strength left.

This is sometimes erroneously referred to as "calibrating the battery." It is not the battery that is being calibrated, but the data the laptop knows about how long the battery will last. Obviously, with a new battery, that information will be different than with the old battery, which was most likely replaced due to poor battery life.

The process is quite simple, yet for some reason, there is no Apple support article on the subject as far as I can tell. Here's what I did after having the battery replaced on my 2013 MacBook Air A1466.

1. Charge the battery fully, and leave on charge for another 2 hours.
  2. Change all the Battery Settings and the Desktop Screen settings to consume maximum energy
  3. Let the laptop battery run down completely. This may take several hours.
  4. Leave the laptop off and unplugged overnight to make sure the battery is fully drained.
  5. Charge the laptop back up and reset the Battery and Desktop settings to normal values.

For details on this process for newer Mac laptops, I found this simple guide: https://www.newertech.com/batteries/power-calibration-guide/

Posted on Apr 12, 2021 8:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2021 9:21 PM

DonH49,

That is the NewerTech link I provided in my original post at the top.

I thought you said there was hypertext for calibration in the Apple support article you mentioned: https://support.apple.com/mac/repair/service

-Tom

4 replies

How to "calibrate" a new battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.