Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In numbers 11 on iMac 10.15.7

When I enter text in a cell in Numbers I get a pop up with suggestions for the entry. EX: AT&T, ATT, att, at&t. Can those suggestions be edited?

Posted on Apr 13, 2021 8:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2021 8:54 AM

Welcome, Irv MacBUS, to Apple Support Communities!

Usually, when typing text into a Cell, in Numbers, the «suggestions for the entry» are taken from other Cells within the same Column (maybe Row, depending upon the nature of the Table you are within).

If there are no Cells with text entries, the «suggestions for the entry» will be more like suggestions when typing any text (so, they depend upon your typing history).

(These two forms of suggestions may be shown in different ways, depending upon what input method is being used.)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2021 8:54 AM in response to Irv MacBUS

Welcome, Irv MacBUS, to Apple Support Communities!

Usually, when typing text into a Cell, in Numbers, the «suggestions for the entry» are taken from other Cells within the same Column (maybe Row, depending upon the nature of the Table you are within).

If there are no Cells with text entries, the «suggestions for the entry» will be more like suggestions when typing any text (so, they depend upon your typing history).

(These two forms of suggestions may be shown in different ways, depending upon what input method is being used.)

Apr 14, 2021 11:43 AM in response to Irv MacBUS

Irv MacBUS wrote:

Original question: When I enter text in a cell I get a pop up, which can be very handy, with suggestions for the entry. EX: AT&T, ATT, att, at&t. Can those suggestions be edited "or deleted?" for instance - instead of att or ATT only AT&T. I would like to delete ATT & att.

The answer on the editing ability is implied within my answer:

1. If the «pop up» is from the Cell texts of the Column (or, possibly, Row), then you edit the text Cells that are contributing the suggestions you do not want. (This can actually help you in maintaining the consistency you desire for your Numbers Table.)
  2. If the «pop up» is from your typing history, this is a whole other “kettle of fish”.

Note: if there are any potentially matching texts, within the Column (or Row) of the Table, the «pop up» will be of type 1, above. The only time you’ll get a «pop up» (or whatever) of type 2, will be when there are no potentially matching texts within the Column (or Row) of the Table.

Apr 14, 2021 12:00 PM in response to Irv MacBUS

HI Irv,

As indicated by Halliday's reply, you can 'edit' the suggestions by editing the cells containing the variants you do not want to see. Using your example list, if you want to use only AT&T, find the cells containing at&t, ATT and att, and change each one to AT&T. When you next type a or A in a cell in that column, you should see AT&T as the only suggestion fitting the name you chose for that entity. You will, of course see any other entries in that column starting with the letter A, but adding T should reduce the list to only the previous entries starting AT (or at).

You can also shut off the suggestions completely by opening Numbers Preferences > General and unchecking the check box shown below.

Regards,

Barry

In numbers 11 on iMac 10.15.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.