Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My presentation looks different when I share it.

When I share a presentation, the shared presentation looks different from what I designed. It looks like a font substitution is happening. How can I prevent this? Why would the presentation need to substitute fonts in the first place?

See below, the first screengrab is how I designed the presentation. The second grab shows the shared presentation in a web browser, notice how the word "show" has been pushed to another line and is now a widow. The letterspacing is wider and uglier.

Here is how I designed it:

Here is how the text is re-flowed:

If there is a way to avoid substituting fonts that would be great. It's alarming to take the trouble to design a presentation and then have the design ignored.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 13, 2021 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2021 4:59 AM

If the recipients of the Keynote file do not have the specific fonts used in the presentation installed on their Mac, Keynote will substitute a font to allow the presentation to display.

To avoid this issue, you will either need to use a font from the standard set of Apple fonts,

advice all recipients to install the required fonts,

export the slides to individual PDF files then add the PDF's to the presentation.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2021 4:59 AM in response to Berntinurny

If the recipients of the Keynote file do not have the specific fonts used in the presentation installed on their Mac, Keynote will substitute a font to allow the presentation to display.

To avoid this issue, you will either need to use a font from the standard set of Apple fonts,

advice all recipients to install the required fonts,

export the slides to individual PDF files then add the PDF's to the presentation.

Apr 13, 2021 3:10 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks Viking OSX. Yes, but I have videos in my presentation that I want to share. So pdf won't work for that. I also have presentation notes. Pdf doesn't do that either.

Adobe has a sharing feature that provides a link to indesign docs that anyone can view in a web browser. No font substitutions there. The design looks just like your design. So it's possible. I would go that path, but there's no way to show notes. I thought Keynote could fit the bill.

Apple chose this other path. Or maybe there's a Keynote prefs box to check somewhere "Prevent font substitution."

Apr 14, 2021 7:53 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Thanks Gary. I was looking at it on my own computer, which does have the presentation fonts installed. Theoretically the browser shouldn't have to replace the fonts. But it does.

Yes, I agree. the real solution is to use a standard web font. But even then the kerning/letterspacing doesn't seem to match up. Something about the way the browser flows the text is interpreted, not verbatim.

Thanks again for the advice.

Apr 14, 2021 12:01 PM in response to Berntinurny

So you are using Keynote Live, that's a different situation.

When using Safari or any web browser to display Keynote Live, the browser is unable to access additional fonts, only the fonts that Safari can use. If Keynote is installed on the Mac you are using, Keynote Live will open Keynote application, and will then use the fonts used in the Keynote file.

Apr 14, 2021 12:07 PM in response to Gary Scotland

Yes! That is correct. I want the viewers of my presentation to be able to re-visit the presentation later on, without having to open Keynote or be in an Apple environment. Because I don't know what their circumstances are, it would be great if they can view it in a web browser. And they can, but it won't look as nice as I designed it, and the text might re-break. *inserts sad emoji*

My presentation looks different when I share it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.