Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replace hard drive, does it void AppleCare?

Hi,

I have a January 2008 15" MacBook Pro and I'm really running out of hard drive space on the 160gb drive that shipped with it. I have the AppleCare warranty, which expires in January 2011. I was thinking of upgrading the drive myself since it's not that hard and I've built quite a few PC's (I'm comfortable working inside a computer). What I want to know is - will this void my AppleCare warranty? If it will, is there any way to get the hard drive upgraded that won't void my warranty?

Thanks,
Matt

15" MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jul 30, 2010 1:54 PM

11 replies

Jul 30, 2010 4:52 PM in response to mjbanks

Hi Matt,

It seems you've received just about the full spectrum of answers. Let me add a little bit more and say that, in the end, if a warranty claim comes up, it would be Apple who would decide the issue.

This topic has been beaten to death here in these forums, but I don't know that I've ever seen a clear, definitive answer, especially since the HD in these machines is not considered a user replaceable part.

That said, I'm wondering if anyone has written support from Apple for it one way or another?

Jul 30, 2010 5:07 PM in response to tjk

The definitive answer is defined in the warranty. If you damage the computer doing any un-authorized service, then that damage is not covered by the warranty. Apple service techs will assume that if they find a different hard drive than the one that came with the computer, then they will not repair under the warranty even if your service is unrelated to having replaced the drive.

Therefore, to avoid the problem you should reinstall the old drive before taking the computer in for service, and leave no evidence you opened the computer up. This may be hard for inexperienced people to accomplish. Of course you can also wait to replace the drive after the warranty expires or have it done by an authorized tech if you can find one who will do the work.

Jul 31, 2010 1:16 AM in response to mjbanks

+What I want to know is - will this void my AppleCare warranty?+

No it does not (whatever others might post) if it's classed as a user-replaceable part for that model. You can check if this is so by looking at the Manual that came on the install DVD or download one from here: http://support.apple.com/manuals/#macbookpro

Page 37 on most of them tells you how to replace a hard drive (which Apple would hardly tell you to do if it did void the warranty!) - there's also a specific reference to this in the Warranty text itself (can't lay my hands on the exact link right now) that says it's OK for drives and RAM to be replaced by the user provided they don't damage any components in the process.

User uploaded file

Jul 31, 2010 2:01 AM in response to iVmichael

iVmichael wrote:
+What I want to know is - will this void my AppleCare warranty?+

No it does not (whatever others might post) if it's classed as a user-replaceable part for that model.

The OP's machine is an early 2008 model; the manuals for these machines do not list the HD as a user replaceable part, nor do any of the MBP (Original). Not until the unibody came out in late 2008 did HDs again become user replaceable parts, as they had been in the "old days."

Page 37 on most of them tells you how to replace a hard drive (which Apple would hardly tell you to do if it did void the warranty!)

These are all for the newer unibody style, not the original.

there's also a specific reference to this in the Warranty text itself (can't lay my hands on the exact link right now) that says it's OK for drives and RAM to be replaced by the user provided they don't damage any components in the process.

I suspect that also is only in the unibody literature, not the original.

This lack of clarity is what I was referring to in my OP. I have no doubt about Michael's last statement, that if/when it states that in the warranty, and/or gives directions in the owner's manual, it is obviously acceptable. But does that mean anything that isn't specifically allowed in the manual and/or warranty is not allowed? That's the written Apple policy I'd like to see.

Message was edited by: tjk

Jul 31, 2010 4:47 AM in response to tjk

As I posted it depends on the machine and what the User Guide states for it.

+But does that mean anything that isn't specifically allowed in the manual and/or warranty is not allowed?+

My take on that would be; Yes, Apple reserve the right to void a warranty if anything they don't like has been done to a piece of hardware. (I've seen/heard them void for all sorts of (pretty feeble) reasons, for example "smoke discolouration" due to the user being a cigarette smoker or a minor dint in the casing)

+That's the written Apple policy I'd like to see+

Apple state:
4. What kind of activities will void my warranty?
Apple’s One-Year Limited Warranty for MacBook Pro excludes coverage for damage resulting from a number of events, including accident, liquid spill or submersion, *unauthorized service and unauthorized modifications*. If damage is outside the scope of warranty coverage, service may be available through a local AASP or an Apple retail store, but all service charges will be your responsibility. In such an event, you will be asked to approve the estimated charges and accept the terms and conditions for service before authorizing the repair. If the repair is performed at an Apple retail store Apple's Repair Terms and Conditions will govern service. Repair service for a MacBook Pro that has experienced catastrophic damage, for example extensive liquid damage or a severe impact that results in the product being disassembled into multiple pieces, is generally not available and not eligible for service.

So, in a nutshell, if the user guide says it's OK to upgrade the RAM and hard drive that's an authorised modification and, provided the user doesn't break anything, the warranty is sound. Doing anything else to it does enable the termination of warranty.
User uploaded file

Sep 2, 2010 11:22 PM in response to tjk

... but I don't know that I've ever seen a clear, definitive answer ...

1. There will never be a "definitive" answer directly from Apple in these forums.

2. I received a "definitive" answer to my satisfaction when I called AppleCare and asked. Actually made two calls with the same inquiry - and received the same info twice. No, the mere replacement of my 2006-era 17" MBP's hard drive violated no warranty with Apple. But, as stated here, any damage I caused while in there would not be covered with my AppleCare extended warranty.

3. On warranty issues like this, do not take ANYONE'S opinion here. Just pick up the phone and call AppleCase yourself for the answers.

Clint Bradford

Oct 11, 2010 8:32 PM in response to mjbanks

The definitive answer is here:
http://www.apple.com/au/support/warranty/homepage.html

Specifically this section:
"*This warranty does not apply*: .... (2) *to damage caused by service* (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not an Apple Authorised Service Provider;"

If you damage your product as a direct result of the upgrade/expansion you've performed (and you aren't an Apple Authorised Service Provider) then you will not be covered by warranty. If you don't damage your product then you're fine and absolutely covered by warranty.

Replace hard drive, does it void AppleCare?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.