Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just installed Big Sur and now my printer won't work at all. Tried everything, what can I do next?

How can I get my printer to work again?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 14, 2021 2:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2021 3:28 PM

Hi. You may give it a try to remove and re-add back the printer as it may help to directly update the printer driver.

To do that, please go to System Preferences then open "Printers and Scanners"

Select your printer name listed on the sidebar then hit the minus (-) button to remove. Once removed, please hit the plus (+) button to re-add back

Note: If you see a padlock icon, please unlock it first by entering your computer password

After following the simple step, you may try to test out if your printer can print now. If ever that did not work, you may try some other steps like Reset NVRAM or rebooting the computer in Safe Mode. Hope that helps!

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2021 3:28 PM in response to f---innuts

Hi. You may give it a try to remove and re-add back the printer as it may help to directly update the printer driver.

To do that, please go to System Preferences then open "Printers and Scanners"

Select your printer name listed on the sidebar then hit the minus (-) button to remove. Once removed, please hit the plus (+) button to re-add back

Note: If you see a padlock icon, please unlock it first by entering your computer password

After following the simple step, you may try to test out if your printer can print now. If ever that did not work, you may try some other steps like Reset NVRAM or rebooting the computer in Safe Mode. Hope that helps!

Apr 22, 2021 8:40 AM in response to dhariness

I am also losing my printer on and off. I have done this each time. ((((To do that, please go to System Preferences then open "Printers and Scanners" Select your printer name listed on the sidebar then hit the minus (-) button to remove. Once removed, please hit the plus (+) button to re-add back.) Today I am unable to add the printer back. I also unplugged the printer and replugged while on. (suggested by HP). I hope you have an answer to add my printer. I pay HP for ink supplies. I tried cleaning and realigning the printer, (suggested by HP) my last resort is to restart the MacBook Pro.

Apr 22, 2021 11:43 AM in response to f---innuts

Thank you everyone for your help. Right after I asked for help I decided to go to the Epson (my printer) website and they

already had a fix for the problem. I just installed something from them and that made my printer run again. I do have to say that before that I had tried everything. And I must mention also that right after installing Big Sur my printer was no longer listed In the printer queue. Only a HP one I had never had, not sure where it came from? Plus I could not add my printer onto the printer list!

So glad Epson already had a fix! I’m not too tech savvy but Apple had changed or upgraded something that affected other software. If you have an Epson printer their website will help, not sure if others have devised a cure..

Apr 22, 2021 6:11 PM in response to f---innuts

Sometimes directly plugging the printer to the Mac can push the system into finding the problem. If that doesn't kit start the job checking printers web site may know of the issue and have updated drivers. Most printers are Air Print compatible and Mac's have or can get the Air Print App from the store. In a pinch you can save the file to icloud files, Notes, Mail or any other app that has quick action. Then text or email it to yourself and air print from mobile.

May 13, 2021 1:28 AM in response to f---innuts

After having torn most of my hair out, I went into Epson.com and asked them. Lo and behold, they have a FIX (I would assume all the other printer companies do, too.) It's a simple download of new software, even simpler installation, and it makes my old printer work like a charm. My printer is at least 5 years old so they probably go back to fairly old ones. Good luck.

May 13, 2021 5:40 AM in response to Harriet Christakos

Unplug the printer while on, then plug back in. Restart your computer. I did this several times before it finally worked. 🤞🏻Hoping this won’t happen until the next Apple update. HP sends me instructions which confuses me. For instance if I download new software, what happens to the out dated software? I was ready to put the printer on the tree lawn for the borough to recycle.

May 13, 2021 5:57 AM in response to f---innuts

Oh, yes, I know how you feel! Apple says it's "not their problem" and to consult your printer manufacturer. And it works! I went into Epson.com (I'm sure all the other companies will work the same) and asked exactly what you asked above. They asked for model number and, lo and behold, up came a "Download" button. I did, and followed the instructions which were very simple, and it works like a charm. No looking up numbers, installing and uninstalling anything. Nothing. All you have to know is your model number and have it on their list. But my printer is at least 5 years old, probably closer to ten, and it was onn the list. And it's nothing fancy. Good luck!

Just installed Big Sur and now my printer won't work at all. Tried everything, what can I do next?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.