Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A lot of music I have in my library has been greyed out. Is this going to change? Not available in my region the wtf am I paying for?

A lot of music I have in my library has been greyed out. Is this going to change? Not available in my region then wtf am I paying for? This is an expensive service and I have same content on an extensive collection of CDs and vinyl but use this for convenience, why is it a regional issue? I’m about ready to pull the plug on Apple Music unless it starts to suck less.

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Apr 15, 2021 8:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2021 6:41 AM

I have the same issue but what is even more strange is that if I navigate to eg a particular album, I can play all of the songs. When I add it to a playlist those same songs then become greyed out. I’ve tried re-adding the albums in question, re creating the playlist etc but to no avail. Help!

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2021 6:41 AM in response to Kuodaboy

I have the same issue but what is even more strange is that if I navigate to eg a particular album, I can play all of the songs. When I add it to a playlist those same songs then become greyed out. I’ve tried re-adding the albums in question, re creating the playlist etc but to no avail. Help!

Apr 25, 2021 7:05 AM in response to LissaMel21

The entire album is in the Apple store available for purchase; I saw it with my eyes. The artist has not removed any songs because you can buy them. In addition, as I mentioned earlier, Apple MATCHED the songs in their database, so there is no way the songs are not available.

Why should I purchase another copy of an album I already purchased (physical copy)? Makes no sense.

Apr 15, 2021 11:59 AM in response to Kuodaboy

If a song isn't available in Apple Music

Some songs or albums might be grayed out because they're not currently available in Apple Music. Here are some reasons why:

• Artists and content providers might release some songs from an album in advance, but not all of them. If you add the entire album to your library, the songs will become available as they're released.
  • Artists and content providers might change or remove music from the Apple Music catalog. Search Apple Music to see if that song is available under a different name or file. If it is, add the song to your library so it's no longer grayed out.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210403

May 9, 2021 6:51 PM in response to LissaMel21

the response that "it may just not be available right now" is impressively invalid and under-researched. this is a broken service. I recently flew from the west coast to the midwest and listened to an artist i'm currently stuck on almost the whole plane ride. that means airplane mode, downloaded to my device, playing off my device, not a cloud. the next day i woke up & almost the entire collection of that artist is greyed out... LOL. trash. so i clicked the apple music tab and searched it. all plays JUST FINE on there! so there is no issue with it being unavailable! but then it still wouldn't play when i downloaded it! so what's good apple? because this is absolute garbage. the biggest thing that ****** me off is - problems will come and go, and that's life - but i had a similar issue with different music in my library months ago that miraculously started working again some time after. this has been a thing for over a year and it's still not fixed!!! completely unacceptable and i will be working hard this next week to get directly in touch with apple about this insanity. give a **** about your client basis!!!

Apr 26, 2021 10:06 AM in response to Kuodaboy

Here's a fix I found:

1. Delete songs/albums from your library that are showing as not available in your region
  2. Re-add those deleted songs/albums to your library
  3. Re-sync your library to iTunes Match

You should now be able to see your songs/albums properly synced up in iTunes Match.

NOTE: THIS WILL ONLY WORK IF THE GREYED OUT SONGS/ALBUMS ARE ACTUALLY ON THE APPLE MUSIC STORE IN YOUR REGION.

Apr 25, 2021 4:49 AM in response to LissaMel21

That doesn't really answer the problem, because take me for example: I'm in the US and I have an album by Aaron Lewis titled "Sinner". I'm subscribed to iTunes Match and here's the issue I've run into: the above mentioned album, 3 out of 10 songs have been Matched and are synced with iTunes Match and 7 songs of THE SAME ALBUM are Matched, but the Cloud Status icon shows they are "Waiting"...whatever that means. When I sync my library on my iPad, for example, the reason for the 7 songs being grayed out is that the songs/album is not available in my region. How can that be?! I've checked - this album is in the US store! If the song is matched, there is no reason for it to not be available after syncing. Heck, even songs that are simply Uploaded to my iTunes Match cloud show up on my synced devices. This needs to addressed.

A lot of music I have in my library has been greyed out. Is this going to change? Not available in my region the wtf am I paying for?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.