Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Concerning whether my old external drive can be used with my new MacBook Air?

I have a G drive slim 500 gb from 2012 or 2013, I think- I never used it as I should have. I now have a MacBook Air 2020. Does anyone know if these two machines are compatible with each other- to use this external drive as a backup disc?

I will need to purchase the right cable but though try if I could get an answer to this question.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 15, 2021 2:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2021 8:15 PM

You should be able to. Please note that the old external drive's read/write speed will be very slow when compared to your internal SSD read/write speed. This means that the best bet for your external drive's use should only be for backup purposes.

You can format it to APFS using Disk Utility. After that you can use it as a Time Machine backup drive whereby you can create manual backups on a periodic basis. OR you can use it store media files etc.

The G Drive probably came with its own cable and more than likely has a standard USB connector. Your MacBook Air has a USB-C port. You will either need an adapter or a HUB for MacBook Air to accept the external HDD.

Axel F.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2021 8:15 PM in response to Bmacm4626

You should be able to. Please note that the old external drive's read/write speed will be very slow when compared to your internal SSD read/write speed. This means that the best bet for your external drive's use should only be for backup purposes.

You can format it to APFS using Disk Utility. After that you can use it as a Time Machine backup drive whereby you can create manual backups on a periodic basis. OR you can use it store media files etc.

The G Drive probably came with its own cable and more than likely has a standard USB connector. Your MacBook Air has a USB-C port. You will either need an adapter or a HUB for MacBook Air to accept the external HDD.

Axel F.

Concerning whether my old external drive can be used with my new MacBook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.