Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

optimize storage box keeps unchecking

When I select optimize storage on my Mac, it works fine for a while. Then, without notice of any kind, it automatically deselects and fills up my local hard drive. I have 1.7 TB available in iCloud, so this should not be happening.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 16, 2021 4:34 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Apr 17, 2021 9:14 AM in response to paulboh50

Hi there paulboh50!

Thank you for posting in Apple Communities. It sounds like you are having trouble optimizing storage space on your Mac. We have a few tips that you can use that may help.

To start, are you referring to the Optimize Storage option discussed here: Optimize storage space on your Mac

If so, go to the Apple TV app on your Mac, then choose TV > Preferences, then click Files. Is Automatically delete watched movies and TV shows enabled or checked? If not, then this may explain why Optimize Storage is disabled.

You can also optimize your mail preferences to help increase your storage space. For information on this, look here: Change Account Information preferences in Mail on Mac

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Apr 17, 2021 12:36 PM in response to paulboh50

paulboh50 wrote:

Now it automatically checks it if I uncheck it. What is going on here? Is there an ethereal worm in the apple?

This suggests your Mac is out of local hard drive space.

iCloud is a syncing service. You are not moving your content to iCloud.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/system-information/sysp4ee93ca4/mac

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/system-information/syspf9b375b9/11.0/mac/11.0

May 7, 2021 10:26 PM in response to LACAllen

Apple has solved the problem with the latest Big Sur upgrade. The upgrade took about 4 hours, much longer than typical for that upgrade. Due to the lack of storage space (caused by the intermittent changes in the optimize storage button), it seemed to download in very small chunks until about 50% done. Each time, the download would grind to a halt, and the upgrade would stop. I would restart it and it would pick back up with the latest progress. Once it started "preparing the upgrade,"it took about 7 restarts which it did itself, each time the available space slightly increasing. When it was done, it showed 32 gb available. The optimize storage button no longer plays in and out.

optimize storage box keeps unchecking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.