Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My WiFi is is weak security is weak . How do I make it secure

When I connect my phone it said my security is weak

iPhone 8, iOS 14

Posted on Apr 17, 2021 10:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2021 12:51 PM

This is NOT an iPhone problem; it is a problem with your router settings.

A "Weak Security" notification means that your Wi-Fi router is not configured correctly. There is a new feature in iOS 14 that checks and displays a message if your router is not using the most up-to-date security settings. Note that your router has always had weak security, you just didn’t know about it until now. 

See this Apple support article for how to configure it correctly—>Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support, specifically the section headed Security. And don't forget to configure your range extenders (if any) also!

After you change the router settings you should Forget the network in your phone settings and reconnect.

Note also that weak security does not interfere with using Wi-Fi, it is just a warning. Your Wi-Fi should still work normally, and, if it doesn’t, it is not because of the weak security message.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2021 12:51 PM in response to 322mk

A "Weak Security" notification means that your Wi-Fi router is not configured correctly. There is a new feature in iOS 14 that checks and displays a message if your router is not using the most up-to-date security settings. Note that your router has always had weak security, you just didn’t know about it until now. 

See this Apple support article for how to configure it correctly—>Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support, specifically the section headed Security. And don't forget to configure your range extenders (if any) also!

After you change the router settings you should Forget the network in your phone settings and reconnect.

Note also that weak security does not interfere with using Wi-Fi, it is just a warning. Your Wi-Fi should still work normally, and, if it doesn’t, it is not because of the weak security message.

May 17, 2021 6:23 PM in response to Mar0673-Klotz0454

It explains everything about the weak security message. If you don’t understand it have someone else read it and explain it to you. Tell you what: I’ll copy and paste in right here:

Jun 11, 2021 4:41 PM in response to 322mk

Why does a non upgraded iPad show my security as WPA2. Also a Windows computer show WPA2 but a fully upgraded iPhone shows WPA

Sounds like an apple problem to me.

I could not install a wifi thermostat because of weak security. The WiFi provider assured me that it was WPA2. I fooled it with a not yet upgraded device.

It is a glitch in the latest apple upgrade.

Jun 11, 2021 5:06 PM in response to geospill

geospill wrote:

Why does a non upgraded iPad show my security as WPA2. Also a Windows computer show WPA2 but a fully upgraded iPhone shows WPA
Sounds like an apple problem to me.
I could not install a wifi thermostat because of weak security. The WiFi provider assured me that it was WPA2. I fooled it with a not yet upgraded device.
It is a glitch in the latest apple upgrade.

Because it is probably WPA/WPA2, not just WPA2. The iPad is using the WPA2 connection, but the WPA is still available to be hacked.

So it is not a glitch in the latest Apple upgrade, it is an incorrect setting in your router. To check this log in to your router’s control page and you will find that it is set to WPA/WPA2. It needs to be WPA2, WPA2 (Personal), WPA2(AES), or WPA2/WPA3.

My WiFi is is weak security is weak . How do I make it secure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.