Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Mail app in Mac OS have a default account for sending emails?

I have 5 email accounts. All are google accounts; 4 are for organizations and one is my personal account. Last year or so, Mail apps switches from my personal account to one of the org accounts when sending emails. Mail almost always picks the same organization.

When I send an email, at bottom of Header, I chose which of 5 accounts is appropriate. I even have the org'al ones set to automatically include a signature. That way I see when Mail thinks I'm using an org'al account, sometimes by mistake. then I can correct it.

And sometimes, after clicking Send, I get pop-up that account offline and pick another. I always fix one that is offline.

The problem is when neither of those 2 exceptions occurs and Mail sends an email from org'al account I had not intended or selected. i discover it when recipient responds to the email, and it comes to me in an org'al mailbox. I go back and look at my sent email, and it went from wrong account.

Is there a default account in Mail? or a Primary or Main account? Have I got too many accounts?

Thanks

MacBook Pro 13″, 11.0

Posted on Apr 17, 2021 10:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2021 10:53 AM

Have you tried setting the primary email in this menu of Mail's Composing preference pane?

Similar questions

2 replies

Apr 17, 2021 5:38 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks. I had looked at that page, but didn't know what "Automatically Select Best Account." actually still don't. but once clicked on it I see that all my accounts are listed. Changed to my personal account. And will watch for different result. Still don't know why one particular google account was the one being consistently picked as "best account." But solving problem is what counts.

thanks for help.

Does Mail app in Mac OS have a default account for sending emails?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.