Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

YouTube on Safari (Mac) has a full screen, green/night-vision-ish color glitch

I am posting this as a workaround/tip for anyone experiencing the problem of YouTube fullscreen videos shifting to a greenish or nightvision-like color glitch as soon as the window chrome (annotations, ads, playback controls) disappear from view. I was experiencing this in Safari 14 on a Mac.

The fix, for me, was just to go to the Mac's System Preferences > Displays > Color tab, and switch the display profile from sRGB IEC61966-2.1, to any other profile. That's all it took, no more weird color shift during playback. I settled on the "Thunderbolt Display" profile because it seemed not to actually change the onscreen colors of the Mac at all, while still resolving the YouTube playback bug/glitch/issue/whatever. If your display profile isn't set to sRGB like mine was, it's still safe to try selecting any other profile; just take note of which profile was selected to begin with, so you can go back to it if you aren't getting a good result with any of the others.

Googling this problem turned up many reports of similar issues — and many suggested workarounds, none of which resolved my own situation. Some suggested turning off hardware acceleration, but I couldn't find a way to do that. Others were enabling or disabling WebGL, but the toggle wasn't anywhere in my version of Safari. One succeeded by clearing Library caches and containers, but that didn't work for me.

My configuration is a MacMini 6,1 (Late 2012), having just been upgraded from El Cap/Safari 12 to Mojave 10.14.6 and Safari 14.0.3.

Posted on Apr 17, 2021 4:08 PM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

YouTube on Safari (Mac) has a full screen, green/night-vision-ish color glitch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.