Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos 6.0

Just bought an M1 Mac Mini. In migrating thousands of photos on an external hard drive, Photos "ran out of space". If I get a larger external hard drive, can I just continue the migration?

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 17, 2021 6:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2021 10:51 AM

How are you migrating the photos to the external HD? If you have the iPhoto library on the EHD and open it with the Photos app to migrate the iPhoto library to a Photos library you will have to start over anew on the larger hard drive. Delete the newly created Photos library.

Rename the iPhoto Library.migratedphotolibrary back to iPhoto Library.photolibrary and open it again with Photos on the new, larger HD to start the migration over again.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2021 10:51 AM in response to David Porter9

How are you migrating the photos to the external HD? If you have the iPhoto library on the EHD and open it with the Photos app to migrate the iPhoto library to a Photos library you will have to start over anew on the larger hard drive. Delete the newly created Photos library.

Rename the iPhoto Library.migratedphotolibrary back to iPhoto Library.photolibrary and open it again with Photos on the new, larger HD to start the migration over again.

Apr 18, 2021 4:10 PM in response to David Porter9

OT--- further update. I made the mistake of plugging the external drive with my backups on it back in to the older Mac and it immediately started a backup and completed it before I sat down to work. So I now do not have access to the earlier backups although that folder and the files in it is still visible on the drive index.

So I went back to your original suggestion to look for the '...library.migrated' file. There isn't a 'migrated' version---I think since the Photos update didn't complete. Can I just move the 'iPhoto library-photolibrary to the larger external drive via drag and drop and then use it to open Photos on the new MacMini?

Photos 6.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.