Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing images into a Pages image preset in a template

How can I insert photos into an Apple Pages template from the file system without only being able to import from the Photos app?

I want to choose replace image and not have to choose an image in my photos folder, it's the quickest way to do it, so how do I increase the options of file locations to choose from. I don't want a more time consuming and fiddly work around like dragging and dropping files from finder.

MacBook, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 17, 2021 10:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2021 12:37 AM

Widening my search a bit brought forth these lines from the Pages 11.0 User guide:

————0————

Add or replace an image:

Do any of the following:

• Drag an image from your computer or a webpage to a media placeholder or anywhere else on the page.
  • Click  in the bottom-right corner of a media placeholder, then select an image from a photo library.
  • Click  in the toolbar, choose Photos, then drag an image from a photo library to the page or to a media placeholder.
  • Click to select the image you want to replace, then in the Format  sidebar, click the Image tab. Click Replace, then choose an image. The new image retains the dimensions of the original.

If you can’t replace an image on a page, the image may be locked or grouped, or it may be a master object.

————0————

The first bolded item is one you've already used and rejected.

The second is given emphasis only because it does not mention a specific location from which to "choose and image." when I tried it, clicking Replace opened my Desktop folder (the most recent folder I had open), from which I was able to choose a pdf image to replace the photo in the media place holder I had clicked on to select and begin the process.

If that doesn't work for you, I'd suggest using the Provide Pages Feedback menu item in the Pages menu to send a Feature Enhancement request asking for this extension of the Replace Image choice to fit your needs directly to Apple.

Regards,

Barry

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2021 12:37 AM in response to Elliecustard

Widening my search a bit brought forth these lines from the Pages 11.0 User guide:

————0————

Add or replace an image:

Do any of the following:

• Drag an image from your computer or a webpage to a media placeholder or anywhere else on the page.
  • Click  in the bottom-right corner of a media placeholder, then select an image from a photo library.
  • Click  in the toolbar, choose Photos, then drag an image from a photo library to the page or to a media placeholder.
  • Click to select the image you want to replace, then in the Format  sidebar, click the Image tab. Click Replace, then choose an image. The new image retains the dimensions of the original.

If you can’t replace an image on a page, the image may be locked or grouped, or it may be a master object.

————0————

The first bolded item is one you've already used and rejected.

The second is given emphasis only because it does not mention a specific location from which to "choose and image." when I tried it, clicking Replace opened my Desktop folder (the most recent folder I had open), from which I was able to choose a pdf image to replace the photo in the media place holder I had clicked on to select and begin the process.

If that doesn't work for you, I'd suggest using the Provide Pages Feedback menu item in the Pages menu to send a Feature Enhancement request asking for this extension of the Replace Image choice to fit your needs directly to Apple.

Regards,

Barry

Apr 17, 2021 11:36 PM in response to Elliecustard

Brief tests using Insert > Choose and Copy and Copy>Paste suggest that choosing an image from the Photos folder is the only path to inserting an image file into the photo container in a Pages template.

That in turn suggests three possible alternate means of getting an image into a Pages document. Both involve deleting the photo container, meaning you will lose the ability to mask the photo.

Delete the placeholder photo and its container.

Use the Insert menu > Choose item to open a finder window in which you can locate and choose an image file to insert in the document, then resize the image and place it where you want it.

OR

Open a finder window, locate and Copy an image file. Return to the Pages document and Paste the file to the document, then resize and relocate as above.

OR

Locate the images you are expecting to use in the document, and place a copy of these images into the Photos folder. Use the built in path to move that image from the Photos folder to the container, replacing the placeholder image in that container. Resize or mask as needed. Change the location if the container is not placed where you need it.

Those appear to be the options. Others may be available (As mentioned, my tsts were brief), and may yet be added in posts from other users..

Regards,

Barry

PS: Thanks for noting your macOS version number.

Please add the version number of Pages you are using (Pages menu > About Pages), as this may be significant in determining a solution.

B.

Importing images into a Pages image preset in a template

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.