Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotify not opening on apple TV

When I try to open the Spotify app on my AppleTV, the screen goes blank. About a week ago I had to uninstall & reinstall the app, which worked. Today the app was unresponsive again but when I uninstalled and reinstalled the app, it will not open. Just goes to a blank screen. I also restarted AppleTV but Spotify just goes to a blank screen. Any ideas?

Milo

Posted on Apr 18, 2021 12:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2021 9:25 AM

Hello donmilo,

We understand that the Spotify app isn't opening on your Apple TV, and we want to see how we can help.

Are you experiencing issues with any other apps, or only Spotify? Prior to the screen going blank, does an error message ever appear? If so, what does the error say?

Which software version is your Apple TV running? Here's how to check for an update: Update Apple TV software

If an app isn't working as expected, please check out the "Learn more" part of this page: Download apps on your Apple TV

Thanks!

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2021 9:25 AM in response to donmilo

Hello donmilo,

We understand that the Spotify app isn't opening on your Apple TV, and we want to see how we can help.

Are you experiencing issues with any other apps, or only Spotify? Prior to the screen going blank, does an error message ever appear? If so, what does the error say?

Which software version is your Apple TV running? Here's how to check for an update: Update Apple TV software

If an app isn't working as expected, please check out the "Learn more" part of this page: Download apps on your Apple TV

Thanks!

May 15, 2021 3:46 PM in response to Brittany1416

Hello, I am having the exact same problem with Spotify as described above. Since tonight the app stopped working. It signed out of the account and I was unable to pair it so I deleted the app and re-installed it. Since then when I open Spotify the TV screen remains black.

my Apple TV software is up to date and it is only happening with the Spotify app.

does anyone have any idea on how to fix this ?

thank you !

Jun 22, 2021 5:47 PM in response to donmilo

Please read all, including the correction after the initial message.

I just had the same issue. Reinstalling the app didn’t do the trick either. I decided to unplug the Apple TV (4K 2021) from power with the (nonfunctioning) app installed. After plugging it back in, the app started without a flaw. So guess we found a flaw. ;-) Hope this helped (or helps) you or someone else.

CORRECTION: After closing the app and trying to reopen it, it had the exact issue as it had before: back to the black screen after the initial showing of the logo. So I guess there’s work to be done by Spotify to update their app to get it working properly. o_O

Jun 22, 2021 9:21 PM in response to Brittany1416

Hi Brittany,

From what I’ve read now, there’s many people having this issue (of which 159 reported it in this thread).

Is this an Apple issue, or a Spotify issue? Since it seems this issue has been popping up for months now, I wonder why it hasn’t been fixed yet.

I got my Apple TV 4K 2021 today. Spotify not working is a dealbreaker for me. Since I’m in Europe, I have 14 days to return it, which I will when there’s no response with any (plan for a) solution soon. My old Roku was (and is) working just fine with all apps I use, including Spotify. I got the Apple TV for its ease in use with my other Apple devices. Spotify not working on a premium product like this makes me doubt its “premiumness”.

I hope I’ll get a response with a fix - and not the standard “let’s see what’s wrong on your end”. (spoiler alert: nothing is wrong on my end. Apple TV 4K 2021 64GB, running on 14.6, downloaded Spotify today, when I got my brand new Apple TV. All other apps work fine (even though not all 100% bug-less, but those were so tiny, those wouldn’t be something I’d complain about)).

Looking forward to your response,

Kind regards,

Eric

Jun 29, 2021 9:53 AM in response to dukejwc

UPDATE:

I contacted Spotify's customer support. That was via e-mail and went on back and forth for about 5 hours (!!). Completely ridiculous, since other people kept responding and new people asked me the same questions. In the end, they told me that they'd let the appropriate department know about this issue, but they couldn't tell me when (and now listen closely) AND IF this issue would be addressed. I should wait for future updates and they couldn't/wouldn't let me know about any progress. After that, they told me "We're always aiming to improve our features, especially our Spotify app on Apple TV, so we hope you’ll continue to use it and find it gets better in the future." I responded with "How can I “continue to use it” when it’s not working?". Finally, they came back with "We understand that the Spotify app on your Apple TV currently is unusable" and that they hoped for my patience and understanding.

The way Spotify's customer "support" dealt with this issue was just shameful². I've spoken to 2 friends with an Apple TV since and they both have the same issue. One of them told me he had given up and is just using AirPlay to get the music from the Spotify app on his iPhone to his Apple TV. I myself have noticed that with the Spotify App installed on the Apple TV, you can hear all the music through the app on your Apple TV - you just can't see the menu and therefor you can't control anything with your Apple TV. At least my plasma tv won't burn in now. ;-)

On a happier note (for me): The rest of my Apple TV is working quite well, and since this seems to be a Spotify-issue and not an Apple-one, I won't be returning my Apple TV to the Apple store.

Jul 1, 2021 4:07 PM in response to donmilo

I contacted Spotify T/S on Twitter and they fixed it for me. Apparently, tvOS has an application switcher just like all the other Apple OS. I had too many apps running.

Do this:

1. Launch Spotify.

2. Wait until you no longer see the Spotify logo.

3. Go back to the main menu.

4. Close the app (double press the TV button for application switcher, focus the app you'd like to force quit and then swipe up).

Spotify not opening on apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.