Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone won't restart unless plugged in

Hi, when I shut off my iPhone8, then try to restart it, it will not restart until I plug it in even with >90% battery charge. Very inconvenient! What's going on?

iPhone 8

Posted on Apr 18, 2021 4:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2021 9:20 PM

Force restart iPhone 8

Press and hold both the volume down button and the Sleep/Wake button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons. (DO NOT release Side Button when invited to Slide Power OFF). 

If the above does not help then-

What is the Battery Health of your iPhone? Open Settings Battery Battery Health and let us know which percentage you see for Maximum Capacity. Also note what is written under Peak Performance. If your battery's Maximum Capacity shows a value of 80% or less, then it has gone through its lifecycle and therefore should be replaced, according to Apple.

Axel F.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2021 9:20 PM in response to AlanNeil

Force restart iPhone 8

Press and hold both the volume down button and the Sleep/Wake button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons. (DO NOT release Side Button when invited to Slide Power OFF). 

If the above does not help then-

What is the Battery Health of your iPhone? Open Settings Battery Battery Health and let us know which percentage you see for Maximum Capacity. Also note what is written under Peak Performance. If your battery's Maximum Capacity shows a value of 80% or less, then it has gone through its lifecycle and therefore should be replaced, according to Apple.

Axel F.

Apr 19, 2021 6:53 AM in response to Axel Foley

Thanks very much, Axel. The battery health was 97% so that did not seem to be the problem. Still not sure of why the problem but the ForceStart worked.

Actually I have another question that someone else posted earlier, though not resolved. I have lots of trouble getting the Navigation app to talk to me. My wife's 8 which we bought together works fine all the time. Mine talks to me when i am in the house, but not when I am in the car (a 2018 Toyota Camry that has bluetooth, etc.). At one point during a trip I got it to work as it seemed several mysteriou stars aligned, but cannot repeat it. It seems that it is communicating with the car, but we can't figure out how and why my wife's nav app works fine. Any ideas??

Thanks, Alan

iPhone won't restart unless plugged in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.