Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where do I find my recovery key

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Apr 18, 2021 5:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2021 4:56 AM

Again, whether you set up AppleID account recovery on a Mac, an iPhone or an iPad, the 28 digit recovery key is written down or stored wherever you wrote it down or stored it. It is not automatically saved anywhere. It is up to you to record it - on paper or in a keychain or other secure note, somewhere. If you did not do that, then there is nowhere for you to find your recovery key.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2021 4:56 AM in response to Raylove424

Again, whether you set up AppleID account recovery on a Mac, an iPhone or an iPad, the 28 digit recovery key is written down or stored wherever you wrote it down or stored it. It is not automatically saved anywhere. It is up to you to record it - on paper or in a keychain or other secure note, somewhere. If you did not do that, then there is nowhere for you to find your recovery key.

May 7, 2021 8:17 PM in response to Michael Black

It’s EXTREMELY frustrating to assume I forgot my password when my password is changed several times a day by my ex and his clan of hackers. Nothing is secure because they go right behind me and change my recovery key but it’s against the rules of Apple to go behind them and recover a new recovery key.

when this is done you literally lose your Apple ID your account and everything you had in your device and there is no solution

Apr 22, 2021 4:26 PM in response to Raylove424

You would not use or need a recovery key when setting up a new device. A recovery key is for recovering your AppleID if you forget the password. Using one requires a trusted device or trusted telephone number you still have access to.

You can only generate an AppleID recovery key on a trusted device - a device you’ve already set up and linked to your AppleID.

When you generate a recovery key, the key is displayed indefinitely with a notice telling you to write it down. You need to write it down in order to enter it again at the next step to confirm it. So it is almost impossible to complete generating a recovery key without writing it down unless your memory for 28 random character codes is good enough to go from the first appearance of it to completing the confirmation of it afterwards.

Apr 22, 2021 4:43 AM in response to Raylove424

Raylove424 wrote:
will continue investigating this issue in various ways

Perhaps by reading the link I posted in response to the original poster of this topic? Michael was just repeating what I had said much earlier and is also outlined in Apple's official documentation about this. I just didn't see a need to post my original reply a second time when another person asked the same question again.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.