Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why isn't Time Machine backing up automatically?

Time Machine is not running automatically, even though I do have the "Back up Automatically" box checked.

When I open System Preferences it gives a time for the next backup, but then doesn't execute it. It does work when I hit "Back up now."

This has been going on for some time, and I have definitely changed some files in that period.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 19, 2021 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2021 7:46 AM

byomtov wrote:

Time Machine is not running automatically, even though I do have the "Back up Automatically" box checked.

When I open System Preferences it gives a time for the next backup, but then doesn't execute it. It does work when I hit "Back up now."

This has been going on for some time, and I have definitely changed some files in that period.

To minimize the risk of needing to create a new backup, consider doing the following:

• Ensure that your external backup disk’s firmware is up to date. If you back up to a Time Capsule, check the Apple Support website to be sure you have the most current firmware available.

• Use Server Message Block (SMB) to back up to your external backup disk.

• Use an uninterrupted power supply (UPS) with your external backup disk to prevent unexpected power failures.

• Disable write caching on your network storage device, if it allows it.

reference:

If you need to create a new backup from Mac—

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/if-you-need-to-create-a-new-backup-mh34042/11.0/mac/11.0

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2021 7:46 AM in response to byomtov

byomtov wrote:

To minimize the risk of needing to create a new backup, consider doing the following:

• Ensure that your external backup disk’s firmware is up to date. If you back up to a Time Capsule, check the Apple Support website to be sure you have the most current firmware available.

• Use Server Message Block (SMB) to back up to your external backup disk.

• Use an uninterrupted power supply (UPS) with your external backup disk to prevent unexpected power failures.

• Disable write caching on your network storage device, if it allows it.

reference:

If you need to create a new backup from Mac—

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/if-you-need-to-create-a-new-backup-mh34042/11.0/mac/11.0

Why isn't Time Machine backing up automatically?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.