Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to find out the total number of files

How do I find out exactly how many files are on my hard drive? I have tons of folders and sub-folders so its not practical to go through each one and add them all up. Hoping there is an easier way.

MacBook Pro, BigSur

Thanks

Posted on Apr 19, 2021 8:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2021 11:09 AM

The operating system does not differentiate between files that you have saved and all files in your home directory. but it can summarize the files that for instance, you saved into the Documents folder. Click once on that folder, and then press option+command+i.

4 replies

Apr 19, 2021 10:58 AM in response to BDAqua

Just need to be able to identify my own saved files without going through the hundreds of folders and subfolders - its for my business. If it's easier, I can break it down a bit - lets just say can I identify how many files are on my desktop for example. Can I find out how many files I have without going through each and every folder/subfolder etc to see how many files I have in each.

How to find out the total number of files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.