Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook

I was wondering how to delete a admin profile and the minus sign isn’t showing up

Posted on Apr 19, 2021 7:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2021 7:14 PM

Laylagroft Said:

"Macbook: I was wondering how to delete a admin profile and the minus sign isn’t showing up"

-------

Create a New Admin:

It appears you are the current user. You cannot that delete yourself, while logged in to it. So, you would have to create a new user, and then delete this user you are currently logged into. See Screenshot***

Important:

First, Create a Time Machine Backup:

Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the deletion (i.e. needing to recover data).

***Screenshot:

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2021 7:14 PM in response to Laylagroft

Laylagroft Said:

"Macbook: I was wondering how to delete a admin profile and the minus sign isn’t showing up"

-------

Create a New Admin:

It appears you are the current user. You cannot that delete yourself, while logged in to it. So, you would have to create a new user, and then delete this user you are currently logged into. See Screenshot***

Important:

First, Create a Time Machine Backup:

Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the deletion (i.e. needing to recover data).

***Screenshot:

Apr 19, 2021 8:34 PM in response to Laylagroft

Laylagroft Said:

"That’s what I’m using and it’s not working"

-------

If the connection is not working:

Reset the SMC and NVRAM:

Sometimes changes(i.e. upgrade) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for Keyboard) become manipulated, technically.  So, reset both on your Mac. Perhaps the keyboard's settings for it keys are mingled, somehow. It might take upto three tries to reset both. So, be certain you have the time to do so.

Try a second or third keyboard...

Apr 19, 2021 7:14 PM in response to Laylagroft

Create a new administrator account and log in with it first. If you're doing this as part of selling or giving away the computer, instead of deleting it individually, restart from the recovery partition(or install DVD for computers which shipped with 10.6.8 or earlier) and erase the drive.

(196491)

Apr 19, 2021 8:05 PM in response to Laylagroft

Laylagroft Said:

"Macbook: I was wondering how to delete a admin profile and the minus sign isn’t showing up [...]I’m getting ready to trade it in for a new one and the keyboard doesn’t work so I’m trying to get it logged out with no password or anything"

-------

External Keyboard Handy?

Use an external keyboard and mouse to perform all the log outs. If you have none handy, then ask someone you know if you may use theirs, with there permissions and with them standing aside you as you use it. Perform at your own risk.

Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.