You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can my phone work without a SIM card

Do I need a sim card

iPhone XS

Posted on Apr 20, 2021 5:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 3, 2021 7:51 AM

I want to use an iPhone in the same manner I use my non-Cellular iPad. I believe I can use 911 for emergency (Canada) without a SIM card. Can I use all other apps on Wi-Fi ? I simply want to adopt the small form factor that includes better photography elements.

5 replies

May 20, 2021 10:53 AM in response to Lo_v3

Yes you can use it without a sim and iMessage and FaceTime ( you can use your Apple ID instead of your number ) will work. Things that require cellular and regular texts and phone calls won’t work but you can always FaceTime / iMessage apple users. Other than that as long as you are connected to wifi nothing exemp regular texts and calls will work as normal.

May 3, 2021 8:11 AM in response to louisgreco

louisgreco wrote:

I want to use an iPhone in the same manner I use my non-Cellular iPad. I believe I can use 911 for emergency (Canada) without a SIM card. Can I use all other apps on Wi-Fi ? I simply want to adopt the small form factor that includes better photography elements.

It will still need a SIM in order to make 911 calls. It doesn't need to be an active SIM, however. But you will need an active SIM in order to register for iMessage and FaceTime. And, if those services ever become unregistered, you'll need that active SIM again. In short, while it's possible to do what you want, it is not ideal. I would recommend a pay-as-you-go SIM that allows you to put money on it as you need it and put the smallest amount of money possible on it.

Can my phone work without a SIM card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.