Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not enough Space

After download of the upgrade as I went to install it I was informed that I needed 28 Gb more to install. This would mean the the program required 12Gb to download and now an additional 23Gb - can anyone tell me if this is correct or if there is an issue

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 20, 2021 8:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2021 9:47 AM

Yes, you need that space.

The downloaded file needs to be decompressed and then stuff needs to be placed in the correct folders before safely deleting old versions.

macOS will always need some free space on the system drive just for normal operations. It’s usually recommended to have at least 15-20% free space. More space is needed during an upgrade for the reasons above.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2021 9:47 AM in response to Mekaelrockstone2020

Yes, you need that space.

The downloaded file needs to be decompressed and then stuff needs to be placed in the correct folders before safely deleting old versions.

macOS will always need some free space on the system drive just for normal operations. It’s usually recommended to have at least 15-20% free space. More space is needed during an upgrade for the reasons above.

Apr 21, 2021 10:05 AM in response to Mekaelrockstone2020

Sorry you are having this problem. If I may, I suggest that it is time for you to purchase an external drive to which you can transfer files and then delete them from your hard drive. This will solve your problem with no degradation in service. These days these drives are readily available, compact, reasonably priced and easy to install with a provided USB cable. You may have to reformat it, though and that's easy to do. Most of these new drives don't even require external power. This is an easy solution to your problem.

Not enough Space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.