Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 14,1 built-in camera bust

I'm just preparing this iMac for sale and I can't get its camera to work. It seems very unlikely to be an electrical failure and I don't think it's anything to do with permissions because the light comes on when I start FaceTime or Skype, but I get the message shown in the screenshot. I've tried a complete wipe and reinstall of Catalina. The previous owner might well have disabled it somehow?

Posted on Apr 20, 2021 11:12 AM

3 replies

Apr 20, 2021 6:55 PM in response to newuser79

Just because the camera LED light up does not mean the camera is working. I've had cameras fail where the LED was lit. If you performed a clean install and the camera does not work, then there is some sort of hardware fault. Of course with macOS 10.15 Catalina you must also configure the System Preferences to allow apps access to the camera.

Apr 21, 2021 4:49 AM in response to HWTech

Yes, it seems to be hardware - how unlikely within a sealed unit with no hinge! A clip-on webcam is much cheaper than repair but I'm trying to get the best price for the widow of the owner. Camera so vital nowadays.

I'd like to try a firmware update but the utility iSightUpdater103.dmg offered at macreport from Apple won't install with the amusing message that the developer, Apple, can't be trusted! Any ideas?

The Apple chat engineers hadn't heard of it.

iMac 14,1 built-in camera bust

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.