Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using iMac 2020 in external display mode

How to use iMac 2020 in external display mode for MacBook 2019

Posted on Apr 20, 2021 12:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2021 12:28 PM

TDM was discontinued 6 years ago, the final nail in the coffin was the release of M1 based Macs and Big Sur. If your 2020 iMac is running Big Sur you cannot use it in TDM, no there are no work arounds. My (and most experienced users will agree) that you should simply buy an external display. Please remember Macs are computers and were never designed to be external displays for other devices. Buying an external display will save you money by not having to buy expensive cables. In the USA you can find external displays starting at $100, I'm sure where you live the prices are similar.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2021 12:28 PM in response to Mikhail-sk

TDM was discontinued 6 years ago, the final nail in the coffin was the release of M1 based Macs and Big Sur. If your 2020 iMac is running Big Sur you cannot use it in TDM, no there are no work arounds. My (and most experienced users will agree) that you should simply buy an external display. Please remember Macs are computers and were never designed to be external displays for other devices. Buying an external display will save you money by not having to buy expensive cables. In the USA you can find external displays starting at $100, I'm sure where you live the prices are similar.

Using iMac 2020 in external display mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.