Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2012 fan suddenly running super loudly

I’ve had my MacBook Pro since 2012 and it’s ran perfectly up until a few weeks ago. The fan isn’t running any faster or slower, it’s just much louder. From the moment I turn it on it makes this loud continuous noise that’s somewhere between humming and clicking. I’ve already tried resetting the SMC and it didn’t help. I cleaned the inside with compressed air and a bunch of dust came out, but if anything it’s louder now. I know my computer is old and I should probably just replace it but there’s nothing else wrong with it, and if there’s a way to fix it I would really like to.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 20, 2021 12:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2021 6:16 PM

Sounds like your hard drive may be failing as these are classic sounds of a failing hard drive. I hope you have a good backup. You can try running DriveDx and posting the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. This app won't be able to confirm a noisy drive, but it can detect a worn out or failing drive (sometimes it will show the side effects if the drive is making the noise). Regardless replacing the hard drive with an SSD will greatly improve system performance.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2021 6:16 PM in response to Kjr0ark

Sounds like your hard drive may be failing as these are classic sounds of a failing hard drive. I hope you have a good backup. You can try running DriveDx and posting the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. This app won't be able to confirm a noisy drive, but it can detect a worn out or failing drive (sometimes it will show the side effects if the drive is making the noise). Regardless replacing the hard drive with an SSD will greatly improve system performance.

MacBook Pro 2012 fan suddenly running super loudly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.