Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 2021 as external monitor for MBP

Hello,

I would like to buy new iMac 2021 - can I use it as external monitor for my MBP (as iMacs until 2014) ?

Best regards,

Posted on Apr 20, 2021 1:01 PM

15 replies

Jun 8, 2021 5:14 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I’m not sure how this ended up as the best answer but this is less than helpful and frankly patronising.

It is not unreasonable to ask the question and it would be a useful feature. I looked it up as I was looking to buy a Mac for doing Dev work on, but didn’t want another screen on my desk, so wanted to use this as my main display for itself and for my windows machine. As it won’t work, I won’t be buying one and find another option.

I’m sure there’s no hardware limitations here and Apple could just enable it with an update.

Apr 20, 2021 1:18 PM in response to Fugiel

Target Display mode ended in 2014 with the late-2014 iMacs. However, you can turn on screen sharing on that MBP and by dragging the iMac's Screen Sharing application from /System/Library/CoreServices/Applications to your Dock, you can enter the hostname.local of your MBP and have full keyboard/mouse control its display on your iMac. Not full screen, but probably larger than the MBP screen itself.

Apr 20, 2021 1:51 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Yep :D I know that I can do it - my point is that I would like only to have one screen on the desk and occasionally use iMac as secondary one. I do not want to have secondary monitor for laptop and imac in the same time.

Well - that solves my problem - I will buy mac mini and have a one monitor for mac mini and mbp :)

Thanks a lot for a reply !

Jun 9, 2021 7:38 AM in response to Fugiel

Don't count on it, what you may not know is that Apple never intended iMacs to be external displays for other devices. The "feature" was discovered by end users and Apple was forced to support it. Target Display Mode was always unreliable, these forums have thousands of posts from users that tried to get Target Display Mode to work and failed due to a number of circumstances. Using a third party external display was always a better solution as it was reliable and relatively inexpensive so most experienced users on these forums recommended that.

My recommendation, is to move on, if you need an external display simply buy one hook it up and enjoy your system. Display can be found for about $100 without too much trouble, they don't require expensive cabling like Target Display Mode did, and they just work.

iMac 2021 as external monitor for MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.