Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 Kernel Panics - ANS2 Recoverable Panic and NVME AppleEmbeddedNVMeController

It appears that every time a bit after my M1 MacBook Pro goes to sleep there is a kernel panic. The first line of the panic reports has either been:

ANS2 Recoverable Panic - assert failed: [15470]:Double Bitflip in region 2, err 0x80, addr 0xbdd88bf40 - PostNand(10)

or

nvme: "nvme: AppleEmbeddedNVMeController::ThreadEntry, ShutdownNVMe() completed with status = 0xe00002e9\n"

I have booted into safe mode and that seems to prevent it from happening. But I don't have any non-Apple kernel extensions running according to the panic report and based on the terminal kextstat report below.

I called Support and they had me reset my SMC (which I thought wasn't a thing on M1s?) by restarting and holding:

1. Ctrl option (on left side)+shift on right side. Hold for 7 seconds
  2. Add power button and hold for 7 seconds

That did not fix the problem. They suggested doing a clean install of the OS, but I would really like to avoid that if possible.

Any suggestions? Is this a hardware issue? I've posted the two most recent reports below.

Posted on Apr 21, 2021 8:01 AM

2 replies

Apr 21, 2021 7:08 PM in response to crlylespam

I would definitely be concerned about the SSD there. Would you mind running DriveDx and posting the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper? I'm curious if anything shows up in the SSD's health report. I'm not sure how reliable the health report is for the M1 SSDs (there is some controversy about the M1 SSD).

To look for possible software issues run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

Try running the Apple Diagnostics.

AFAIK, the M1 Macs don't have an SMC or PRAM Reset. It seems Apple's techs don't know Apple's products.

While I did receive an M1 MBPro for work, I've barely used it and have never actually repaired an M1 Mac yet so I'm probably not going to be a lot of help.

Apr 22, 2021 11:34 AM in response to HWTech

Thanks for the reply! See below for both the DriveDx report and the EtreCheck Report. Nothing seemingly wrong. Since posting the above I also re-installed Big Sur (without wiping the drive completely) and still had two more crashes today, one of which was in the middle of using the computer, which has not happened until now. Both were the ANS2 type.

I also did run the Apple Diagnostics prior to getting on the phone with support, but nothing came up from that. However, it did kernel panic in the middle of that diagnostic the first time, but got it to run through it the second time.

M1 Kernel Panics - ANS2 Recoverable Panic and NVME AppleEmbeddedNVMeController

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.