Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS 10.8.5 Error 102

Whenever I try to update my OS, I get the following error: An error has occurred while downloading the updates (102). I found another thread regarding this error. A reply said to apply Download OS X Mountain Lion Update v10.8.5 (Combo). Which I did but did not resolve my issue. Is there any other suggestions?

Posted on Apr 21, 2021 8:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2021 12:07 PM

Mid 2017 Airs can run the latest macOS, Big Sur.

You can try simply updating with this How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur - Apple Support

If it doesn't work, I'd advise you to make a clean install of macOS.

First backup your personal data to an external USB drive.

Now create a bootable USB installer following this How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Restart holding Option and choose the USB installer

Once Recovery Mode is loaded, open Disk Utility and completely erase the internal drive

Close DU and proceed installation.

That I consider the best way because you'll have a clean install, free from debris from old versions like system files and settings that could cause you some trouble.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2021 12:07 PM in response to NV_Mac_775

Mid 2017 Airs can run the latest macOS, Big Sur.

You can try simply updating with this How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur - Apple Support

If it doesn't work, I'd advise you to make a clean install of macOS.

First backup your personal data to an external USB drive.

Now create a bootable USB installer following this How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Restart holding Option and choose the USB installer

Once Recovery Mode is loaded, open Disk Utility and completely erase the internal drive

Close DU and proceed installation.

That I consider the best way because you'll have a clean install, free from debris from old versions like system files and settings that could cause you some trouble.

May 20, 2021 7:05 AM in response to Rafael Scheid

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac mini

Model Identifier: Macmini6,1

Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 3 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 4 GB

Boot ROM Version: 421.0.0.0.0

SMC Version (system): 2.7f0

Serial Number (system): C07K631EDWYL

Hardware UUID: F9F1D18E-19D3-5080-9E9E-C78E0A939EAB

• Since I upgraded to Catalina 10.15.7 my Mac mini could not recognize my VERBATIM external storage. Consequently I could not transfer my files saved in the VERBATIM back to my Mac mini. PLEASE, HELP me solve this problem.

MacOS 10.8.5 Error 102

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.