Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activation lock appeared after I restore the iphone7 I bought second hand

After I bought my iphone 7 as a second hand phone. Been using it for quite a while it has been a month now when the IOS 14.4.2 came when i connected the phone to my itunes on my laptop the update didn't finished due to an error 4000. My phone restarted afterwards the support.apple.com/phone/restore came out on the phones screen. Tried the steps to restore the phone using itunes but when the restore finished the Activation Lock appeared. and asking for the e-mail used to set up the phone Since this phone was bought as a second hand and now I don't know where to find the person who sold the unit. How am I going to removed the phones activation lock? Please help me

iPhone 7

Posted on Apr 21, 2021 9:49 AM

4 replies

Apr 21, 2021 11:51 AM in response to JaYeL187

"Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch" is a security feature, one aspect of which is deterring re-selling of stolen devices. To learn more click here --> http://support.apple.com/HT201365

An activation lock can only be removed using information for the account that applied the lock. If you know this information follow the onscreen steps to enter the Apple ID and password used to set up the device, or enter the device passcode.

Click on this link to learn 'How to remove Activation Lock' --> https://support.apple.com/HT201441

If you do not know the required information and you are not the original owner, get the owner of the account to remove the lock or return the device for a refund or recycle it. The device is otherwise useless to you. If the owner is unknown and has not provided contact information as a message showing in the login screen, there is no way to contact the owner unless the person who gave you the device knows them.

Apr 21, 2021 6:31 PM in response to JaYeL187

Only the owner who set up the phone can remove activation lock. Apple won't do it. We can't do it. If the owner doesn't remove the activation lock, you are the proud owner of a useless brick, which you'll NEVER be able to use.

Either get them to remove Activation Lock or get your money back. If they are or can't do either, recycle the phone as it's now utterly useless to you.

Activation lock appeared after I restore the iphone7 I bought second hand

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.