Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am asked for payment for a free app, doesn’t make sense and I cannot download the app unless I pay for a free app that doesn’t make sense

I am asked for a credit card payment for a free app download that doesn’t make sense free apps were never paid for in the past why am I paying for a free app this is regarding many free apps not just one

iPhone X

Posted on Apr 21, 2021 1:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2021 1:40 PM

You are not asked for payment. But you are asked to verify your Payment method. If your Payment method stopped being verified for any reason(usually because there is a pending charge that did not go through), then you will need to verify it again before you are allowed to use the App Store services, which include the downloading of free apps.

The verification process may apply a 99c hold to verify it can be charged. This is not a charge for free apps, just a method of verifying the payment method and should be removed by your bank or credit card company shortly after verification is complete.

See here: link-> How apps, content, and subscriptions from Apple are billed - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2021 1:40 PM in response to Mac Pro User

You are not asked for payment. But you are asked to verify your Payment method. If your Payment method stopped being verified for any reason(usually because there is a pending charge that did not go through), then you will need to verify it again before you are allowed to use the App Store services, which include the downloading of free apps.

The verification process may apply a 99c hold to verify it can be charged. This is not a charge for free apps, just a method of verifying the payment method and should be removed by your bank or credit card company shortly after verification is complete.

See here: link-> How apps, content, and subscriptions from Apple are billed - Apple Support

May 10, 2021 9:05 AM in response to lupita211

lupita211 wrote:

It doesn’t work even if I use an itunes card

No, once a charge has been attempted on your account and failed, you will need to enter an actual payment method such as credit card or debit card to complete the charge correctly and reverify the account.

Once verification is completed and your account is in good standing again, you can remove said credit or debit card and it will not require it again unless once again it tries to charge you and fails.

I am asked for payment for a free app, doesn’t make sense and I cannot download the app unless I pay for a free app that doesn’t make sense

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.