Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing Up MacBook Pro to External Drive

I have backed up my MacBook Pro several times to an external drive by following all the directions. But, the Time Machine says "Oldest Backup: None" Latest Backup: None.

WHY?

It acts like it's backing up to the disc.

It starts by saying: "preparing to back up"

Then it goes thru a continuous monitoring of how many gigs have backed up.

Then it's done.

But time machine still says: "Oldest Backup: None" Latest Backup: None.

This is a new computer.

But I get these messages saying it hasn't been backed up since I bought it.

Strange.

How can I get it to recognize the fact that I've backed up to an external drive?

Thank You!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 21, 2021 4:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2021 6:33 AM

That shows it could not even determine the size of the MyPassport.

Drives like the MyBook and MyPassport came with software, and the manufacturer suggested you install that software.

What that software does is to "spare you the annoyance of having to re-initialize the drive" from its factory set Windows New Technology File System (NTFS) or similar unusual (on a Mac) format. Instead, the software they provided would simulate a MacOS drive inside an NTFS file for your Mac.

The downside of this practice is that if the manufacturer's software is not loaded, the Macintosh Volume is not readable. This means that in startup manager, Installer, and in recovery such as after a data loss, the Macintosh Volume will not be visible.

The standard advice given here to all users, including novice users, is to:

discard the manufacturers software and NEVER use it. "Best Practice" is to erase the drive when new, using only MacOS Disk Utility, and create the fundamental data structures needed for consistent, reliable use by MacOS.

--------

ERASE the new drive by its immutable hardware-name with Disk Utility to make it a natively-supported drive.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2021 6:33 AM in response to s-u-n-n-y

That shows it could not even determine the size of the MyPassport.

Drives like the MyBook and MyPassport came with software, and the manufacturer suggested you install that software.

What that software does is to "spare you the annoyance of having to re-initialize the drive" from its factory set Windows New Technology File System (NTFS) or similar unusual (on a Mac) format. Instead, the software they provided would simulate a MacOS drive inside an NTFS file for your Mac.

The downside of this practice is that if the manufacturer's software is not loaded, the Macintosh Volume is not readable. This means that in startup manager, Installer, and in recovery such as after a data loss, the Macintosh Volume will not be visible.

The standard advice given here to all users, including novice users, is to:

discard the manufacturers software and NEVER use it. "Best Practice" is to erase the drive when new, using only MacOS Disk Utility, and create the fundamental data structures needed for consistent, reliable use by MacOS.

--------

ERASE the new drive by its immutable hardware-name with Disk Utility to make it a natively-supported drive.

Backing Up MacBook Pro to External Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.