Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur Battery Drain While Sleeping

Hi everyone!

After I upgraded to Big Sur 11.3 I've realized that my battery usage significantly dropped. When I am working, I used to use my mac more or less 5-6 hours in unplugged mode. After I've got 11.3, it had been dropped to less than 1.5 hours! Moreover, while the macOS sleeping at night, the system started to drain the battery. For example yesterday night I had 93% battery, and I left it on sleeping mode, morning I've seen it dropped to 50%. (In sleeping mode, I left parallels windows open. But I've done this a lot of times, nothing wrong happened before.)

Another thing I've noticed that Every app which I open, started to show up: significantly uses battery. Even the photo gallery app! I don't know what's going on with my MBP, but looks like it is about software issue...

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Apr 22, 2021 7:15 PM

7 replies

Apr 23, 2021 4:03 PM in response to BerkcanBatu

Hi BerkcanBatu,

We understand that you're not getting the battery life you expect from your Mac. If you haven't yet, we recommend reviewing Activity Monitor for battery usage, and processes that may be using a significant amount of power. The following page explains how: View energy consumption in Activity Monitor on Mac

You can find additional guidance to help you get the most from your Mac's battery, here: Tips for MacBook Air and MacBook Pro.

We hope this helps!

Apr 25, 2021 11:54 AM in response to BerkcanBatu

Thanks for getting back to us, and keeping us up to speed BerkcanBatu,

Seeing Spotlight showing for so long in the list of apps that use significant power certainly wouldn't be expected. To help isolate the behavior further, we'd like to have you try running through a complete battery cycle, from 100% until it's below 10%, in safe mode.

Safe mode has a couple of functions. First, it's going to run a check on the startup disk as your Mac boots. It also temporarily disables non-essential software from loading at startup. As a result you may see your Mac take a bit longer to boot into this mode, and not all features and functions may be available while in safe mode. However, testing in this mode can help isolate whether the issue is being caused by a conflict or issues with software.

The following page provides some additional information about safe mode, and how to use it: Start up your Mac in safe mode

Post your results after you complete a full battery cycle in that mode, did the battery last longer when in use? Did it last longer when the Mac is sleeping? Does Spotlight still show significant battery usage? We'll continue from there.

Take care for now!

Apr 28, 2021 1:41 PM in response to BerkcanBatu

Thanks for testing in safe mode and sharing your results BerkcanBatu,

We see Spotlight is no longer showing in the list of apps using significant battery power, and it is expected for your Mac to use some power as it sleeps. If you haven't already, disabling Power Nap can reduce the amount of power that's used while sleeping. You can find information about the feature, here: What is Power Nap on Mac?

So we can learn a bit more, may we also ask to check the number of battery cycles on your Mac? You can find this with the information provided here: Determine battery cycle count for Mac notebooks

Thanks!

Apr 24, 2021 5:41 PM in response to sterling r

Hi Sterling R,

Thanks for your reply! I am always reviewing the Activity Monitor but didn't notice any issue with that. Before except some games or the apps which can use a huge part of RAM, has been shown up in here "significantly uses battery", but lately every app or programmes -even spotlight- showing up on here. I really don't know where is the issue but it really makes me upset. Please don't say spotlight is doing some indexing, it is gonna take 2-3 days etc. It's been already two weeks...

And please, someone could explain me that why while the macOS sleeping, 50% of battery has been drained?

Apr 26, 2021 8:48 PM in response to chuck_3rd

Hi, chuck_3rd!

I opened my macOS in safe mode yesterday evening, and left it in sleeping mode until morning, as you can see it drained 20% of the battery. After I started to work on safe mode, it only kept its battery still for less than 2 hours, and I only used a few apps.

Before when I was working on normal mode, (I normally open more than 10 apps, plus excel. I am using all of them while working), the battery goes more than 4 hours, I only charge it twice in a whole day. Now supposed to be charged more than 3 times. I check my battery situation, looks like everything is normal.

I leave the -safe-mode working- screenshots here, please check them!

My Battery Health:

Big Sur Battery Drain While Sleeping

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.