Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Video and Audio synchronisation problem

Hello!

Following problem:

I want to synch my video made on an iPhone 12 Pro Max (1080 60 fps) with an audio made with a ZOOM H5 in iMovie. After 2-3 minutes the seperate recorded Video and Audio gets more and more asynchronous.

I tright out a lot of things, but none of my attempts did. work...

I use the latest version of MacOS BigSur and the latest version of iMovie.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

Benedikt

MacBook, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 23, 2021 3:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2021 8:58 AM

As you have found, there can be sync problems when the audio and video are recorded on different devices.

Try this workaround: Control-click on the audio clip. In the drop down menu that appears, choose Show Speed Editor. That will reveal an audio speed adjustment handle in the upper right hand corner of the audio clip. Now use the slider above the timeline to the right to expand out your timeline. Then use the speed adjustment handle to slightly vary the speed of the clip to bring it into sync with the video. Sliding the handle to the left increases the speed. Sliding to the right decreases the speed. You might need to split the audio clip in appropriate places and sync the separate segments.

You can use the above procedure on the video clip as well, to align it with the audio.

You may also find it helpful to slide the detached audio clip slightly to bring it into sync. You can drag it with your cursor. Or, a more precise way, is to select the audio clip and, while holding down the Option key, tap the < key to nudge the clip one frame to the left with each tap. The procedure doesn't work for nudging right, so you would need to position the clip slightly to the right and then nudge it left until synced. Again, you might need to split the audio clip at appropriate points and work with the segments.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2021 8:58 AM in response to _benedikt

As you have found, there can be sync problems when the audio and video are recorded on different devices.

Try this workaround: Control-click on the audio clip. In the drop down menu that appears, choose Show Speed Editor. That will reveal an audio speed adjustment handle in the upper right hand corner of the audio clip. Now use the slider above the timeline to the right to expand out your timeline. Then use the speed adjustment handle to slightly vary the speed of the clip to bring it into sync with the video. Sliding the handle to the left increases the speed. Sliding to the right decreases the speed. You might need to split the audio clip in appropriate places and sync the separate segments.

You can use the above procedure on the video clip as well, to align it with the audio.

You may also find it helpful to slide the detached audio clip slightly to bring it into sync. You can drag it with your cursor. Or, a more precise way, is to select the audio clip and, while holding down the Option key, tap the < key to nudge the clip one frame to the left with each tap. The procedure doesn't work for nudging right, so you would need to position the clip slightly to the right and then nudge it left until synced. Again, you might need to split the audio clip at appropriate points and work with the segments.

-- Rich

iMovie Video and Audio synchronisation problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.