Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The index.xml file is missing.

How do I fix this error: The index.xml file is missing.????

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 23, 2021 1:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2021 3:00 PM

As far as I know this only happens when trying to open a "newer" Numbers document using Numbers '09. It was a prevalent problem a decade ago when a lot of people had Numbers '09 and Numbers 3 on the same machine. Now there are not many people who have Numbers '09.

Start up Numbers then drag a file and drop it on the Numbers icon on the dock. Does it open?

You may have to "get info" on a file and set the default app back to the newer version of Numbers. And choose to apply it to all.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2021 3:00 PM in response to AliceDG

As far as I know this only happens when trying to open a "newer" Numbers document using Numbers '09. It was a prevalent problem a decade ago when a lot of people had Numbers '09 and Numbers 3 on the same machine. Now there are not many people who have Numbers '09.

Start up Numbers then drag a file and drop it on the Numbers icon on the dock. Does it open?

You may have to "get info" on a file and set the default app back to the newer version of Numbers. And choose to apply it to all.

The index.xml file is missing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.