📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iOS 18 is now available

Customize your iPhone in more ways than ever, stay connected with friends and family, and relive your favorite moments. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

got a “unlock iPhone to use accessory” error and now it won’t charge my phone. I’ve changed my settings to allow usb accessories an

I recently bought a charger and my phone was charging perfectly fine than a friend went to use it and got a “unlock iPhone to use accessory” error and now it won’t charge my phone. I’ve changed my settings to allow usb accessories and the charger still works to charge my AirPods.

Any suggestions on what the problem is and what I should do?

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Apr 23, 2021 4:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2021 12:14 PM

Hello slay285,

It sounds like you are unable to charge your iPhone as it's telling you unlock the device to use the accessory.

Here's a resource on this topic. Review Using USB accessories with iOS 11.4.1 and later.

• "If the USB accessory is still not recognized after you unlock your device, disconnect your device from the accessory, unlock your device, and then reconnect the accessory."
  • Toggle Settings > Face ID & Passcode > USB Accessories off, Restart your iPhone, then toggle it back on and try again.
  • Note: "Administrators can control the USB Accessories setting on supervised iOS devices using Apple Configurator or mobile device management."
  • Test your iPhone with a different USB and a different outlet.

If it continues, your related article If your iPhone or iPod touch won't charge is the best one to follow and if "third-party accessory, check that it's Apple certified."

Hope this information helps.

Have a good day.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 24, 2021 12:14 PM in response to slay285

Hello slay285,

It sounds like you are unable to charge your iPhone as it's telling you unlock the device to use the accessory.

Here's a resource on this topic. Review Using USB accessories with iOS 11.4.1 and later.

• "If the USB accessory is still not recognized after you unlock your device, disconnect your device from the accessory, unlock your device, and then reconnect the accessory."
  • Toggle Settings > Face ID & Passcode > USB Accessories off, Restart your iPhone, then toggle it back on and try again.
  • Note: "Administrators can control the USB Accessories setting on supervised iOS devices using Apple Configurator or mobile device management."
  • Test your iPhone with a different USB and a different outlet.

If it continues, your related article If your iPhone or iPod touch won't charge is the best one to follow and if "third-party accessory, check that it's Apple certified."

Hope this information helps.

Have a good day.

got a “unlock iPhone to use accessory” error and now it won’t charge my phone. I’ve changed my settings to allow usb accessories an

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.