Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What problems to expect with iMac 21.5 Late 2012 Mojave 10.14.6 when upgrade to Catalina OS

What problems to expect with iMac 21.5 Late 2012 Mojave 10.14.6 when upgrading to Catalina OS:

External Hardware issues & Software

1) Re: Focusrite Red Solo 3rd gen USB audio mixer , Samson CO1 mic, KNR4500 headphones - all considered external hardware

2) Audacity 3.1 ver is this working without security issues , should I load after the upgrade ?

3) what software and apps on my Mojave 10.14.6 no longer works

4) do I need to ensure the Installer is not damaged before attempting upgrade

5) how can I download my 1st install of Catalina OS to the 200Gb partition ( I created upon purchase last April 2020) so I can test this macOS

6) what happens to my NVIDIA G*force and GT 640M / 512mb

once again late 2012 I Mac

Model MD093LL/A 2.7 GHz quad Core Intel i5 , 8Gb memory , 1600 MHz DDR3

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 24, 2021 11:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2021 12:22 PM

Thank you. I did discover Audacity 3.2 on Catalina 10.15 by default the application no longer has permission to access audio input device yet it doesn’t know that therefore no pop up warning or request for permission, it just receives zero signal and goes along thinking it’s recording but it’s not. Learned (AskDaveTaylor.com) an easy way to work around via Terminal and Spotlight using the Command line yet has to be utilize each time Audacity launched . Works until Audacity writes new release for permission .....

appreciate answering all my questions

I want to ensure an easy efficient download of Catalina and may just load Audacity after upgrade as I have deleted it for now .... 🌈🌈

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2021 12:22 PM in response to dialabrain

Thank you. I did discover Audacity 3.2 on Catalina 10.15 by default the application no longer has permission to access audio input device yet it doesn’t know that therefore no pop up warning or request for permission, it just receives zero signal and goes along thinking it’s recording but it’s not. Learned (AskDaveTaylor.com) an easy way to work around via Terminal and Spotlight using the Command line yet has to be utilize each time Audacity launched . Works until Audacity writes new release for permission .....

appreciate answering all my questions

I want to ensure an easy efficient download of Catalina and may just load Audacity after upgrade as I have deleted it for now .... 🌈🌈

Apr 24, 2021 12:08 PM in response to camillea4455

camillea4455 wrote:

What problems to expect with iMac 21.5 Late 2012 Mojave 10.14.6 when upgrading to Catalina OS:

1) Re: Focusrite Red Solo 3rd gen USB audio mixer , Samson CO1 mic, KNR4500 headphones - all considered external hardware

Check with Focusrite.

2) Audacity 3.1 ver is this working without security issues , should I load after the upgrade ?

Audacity will be fine.

3) what software and apps on my Mojave 10.14.6 no longer works

No idea what software you have installed.

4) do I need to ensure the Installer is not damaged before attempting upgrade

The installer verifies itself.

5) how can I download my 1st install of Catalina OS to the 200Gb partition ( I created upon purchase last April 2020) so I can test this macOS

Choose the partition from the installer.

6) what happens to my NVIDIA G*force and GT 640M / 512mb

Nothing.

Apr 24, 2021 12:53 PM in response to dialabrain

I have not installed Catalina yet as my need to ensure any problems possibly encountered I have covered , hence the reason I also waited over a year to install and plenty of time to devote with the install. As a Microsoft Windows user for 30 years My decision to learn macOS is quite determined even after 60+ y/o. I am pleased with my progress and now sufficient time to learn the Ins / Outs as my brain has Windows mentality and finally learning how to link the two. 🙃

thank you again for your time and consideration You have been a great help

What problems to expect with iMac 21.5 Late 2012 Mojave 10.14.6 when upgrade to Catalina OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.