Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos 5.0 cannot duplicate certain photos

While many are trying to find a way to erase duplicate photos, my Macbook Pro has lost the ability to duplicate "certain" photos on demand. I have tried Command+D, I have tried the menu, but no good. While some photos are duplicated, other cannot be. I have tired to find a common characteristics between the ones that cannot be duplicated; does not matter if edited, or has face name, or location, or from a certain camera, the issue seems random, since photos with similar metadata can either be duplicated or not.

Thank you in advance:

MBP 2020 on Catalina, Photos 5.0

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 24, 2021 2:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2021 12:12 PM

I had the same issue and you are right, there is no rhyme or reason as to why certain photos cannot be duplicated - doesn't seem to matter if they are new or old or have been edited.

However, I have found a workaround that worked for me. If you reopen the photo and make a small edit, such as a crop and then exit the photo, a new edited version is then saved and you should be able to create a duplicate. This worked for me on all photos that couldn't be duplicated.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2021 12:12 PM in response to berkerm

I had the same issue and you are right, there is no rhyme or reason as to why certain photos cannot be duplicated - doesn't seem to matter if they are new or old or have been edited.

However, I have found a workaround that worked for me. If you reopen the photo and make a small edit, such as a crop and then exit the photo, a new edited version is then saved and you should be able to create a duplicate. This worked for me on all photos that couldn't be duplicated.

Photos 5.0 cannot duplicate certain photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.