Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages 11.0 freezing, hanging in OSX 10.15.7

Since the recent Pages update (though perhaps coincidental), Pages 11.0 always hangs and freezes in OSX 10.15.7, to the point where it’s nearly unusable.

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 25, 2021 6:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 8:24 AM

Greetings JT7203,

We understand that you are having some difficulty with Pages not responding, and we'd like to help. Begin by following the guidance found here:

If an app freezes or quits unexpectedly on Mac

Take care.

3 replies

Apr 26, 2021 10:29 AM in response to Nicholas_B2

GARMIN EXPRESS 7.4.1.0 incompatible with PAGES 11.0 in OSX 10.15.7

Nicholas_B2:

I had done everything but the final item, so I just ran Apple Diagnostics. Thanks, I’ll definitely remember adding that to my list — AFTER my double duhhh at bottom — for any future problems.

Apple Diagnostics indicated no issues, so I did a simple re-start.

Upon start-up, THOUGH IT’S NOT AMONG MY START-UP ITEMS, Pages started up (quickly this time) and opened the two most recent items I had been working on, though neither was today (and though, likewise, neither document was in my start-up items).

So I checked my start-up items, and noticed that a recently installed program, Garmin Express, had somehow added itself (I’m 100% certain I did not add it to the start-up items), so I deleted it from the start-up items (I had actually deleted this program — using AppCleaner — when the Pages issue began, as I had installed it a few days previous, but that had no effect the Pages problem, so I had re-installed it).

After quitting Garmin Express, Pages then started in seconds and opened documents normally, so I quit Pages, started Garmin Express (7.4.1.0, a no longer supported software for a GPS I recently purchased for a 2007 vehicle), then started Pages — the issue re-emerged, but disappears whenever Garmin is not running.

So, yeah, double duhhhhh: not only hadn’t I noticed the Garmin icon in the dock indicating it was running, but had also neglected the basic troubleshooting step of trying Pages after being certain no other software was running.

Apr 27, 2021 10:18 AM in response to JT7203

I RESCIND PREVIOUS MESSAGE ;-)

The problem has returned this morning, if anything worse than before.

Once I manage to get Pages to open, usually after multiple attempts, it freezes multiple times after nearly every action (even a single click) in a document. Finally it runs long enough for me to accomplish something.

Pages 11.0 freezing, hanging in OSX 10.15.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.