Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apps running in background drain battery 7+ 14.4.2

Over the past week or so, I have found apps running for a long time in the background even though background refresh is turned off. It started with one or two, but now multiple apps are running in background. I deleted the app at top (a tabata timer) but then noticed others were running. I also keep closing them but to no effect. Is there a fix for this? (FYI i installed a new battery about 3 weeks ago - not an apple battery but battery health is reported at 100pc).

Posted on Apr 25, 2021 9:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 2:37 AM

You couldn’t wait 2 hours for a genuine battery? Jeez. We see so many fake battery problems on the forum and Apple will never service your phone again now.

You also need to understand the difference between background refresh and off-screen running.

If an app is misbehaving power wise then report it to the developer and then uninstall it.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2021 2:37 AM in response to kginhk

You couldn’t wait 2 hours for a genuine battery? Jeez. We see so many fake battery problems on the forum and Apple will never service your phone again now.

You also need to understand the difference between background refresh and off-screen running.

If an app is misbehaving power wise then report it to the developer and then uninstall it.

Apr 26, 2021 3:00 AM in response to LD150

Thanks, so it seems several apps are all acting up at the same time and it's the apps' fault.

Also, it does sound strange to me to imply it is reasonable to wait two hours for a battery after booking an appointment online in which I had stated that I wanted a new battery (I didn't have to wait in line or anything). The apple store wasn't even that busy when I got there. Is it normal to take that long to change a phone battery? But I guess the thinking here is that it is.

Apr 25, 2021 11:37 PM in response to kginhk

App developers can make apps run in off screen without them being given permission to refresh in background

Eg Youtube premium plays music screen-off but in foreground.

Also the battery chart shows minutes not power usage. Light blue may not be using as much power as it appears

Fake batteries often show 100% for ever. They are fake after all.

Apr 26, 2021 12:25 AM in response to LD150

I have seen this explanation before and I am confused by it. Apps that I use for a single purpose i.e. not social media and not downloading - like a tabata timer, or streaming music - are running in the background for much longer than they are actually used for over multiple days. Is that normal?

apps running in background drain battery 7+ 14.4.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.