Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Certain apps aren't connecting to my wifi

Certain apps on my iphone 8 aren't connecting to my wifi. Apps like Spotify, Discord, etc. will be stuck on the "connecting" while others like Facebook, Safari, etc. will connect.

I've restarted my router, did a soft reset of my iphone, forgot my network, toggled my phone into Airplane mode on and off again, and deleted and re-installed affected apps. My iphone software and all the apps are up to date as well. Both my laptop and ipad are still able to connect to the wifi without any issues.

iPhone 8, iOS 14

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 7:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 5:17 PM

VPN connections change their end points frequently. If they didn’t they wouldn’t provide any security. And if the end point changes to a location that an app doesn’t support or an application that is not in the service area of the app that app will no longer work.

Overall using a VPN is generally a bad idea; it provides little extra security, and all of your activity is tracked by the VPN provider, which can actually make using VPN a greater security risk than not using one. If you are using a free VPN you are really asking for trouble, as the only way the provider can stay in business is to sell your browsing data. Here’s more on that subject→Don't use VPN services. · GitHub

There is only one legitimate use for VPN: To connect to a closed corporate network from outside of the office.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2021 5:17 PM in response to gotfunkified

VPN connections change their end points frequently. If they didn’t they wouldn’t provide any security. And if the end point changes to a location that an app doesn’t support or an application that is not in the service area of the app that app will no longer work.

Overall using a VPN is generally a bad idea; it provides little extra security, and all of your activity is tracked by the VPN provider, which can actually make using VPN a greater security risk than not using one. If you are using a free VPN you are really asking for trouble, as the only way the provider can stay in business is to sell your browsing data. Here’s more on that subject→Don't use VPN services. · GitHub

There is only one legitimate use for VPN: To connect to a closed corporate network from outside of the office.

Certain apps aren't connecting to my wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.