Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro shuts down

Is my battery bad or what's happening for my laptop to just shut down on me? My Battery icon shows anywhere from 90% to 100% always. What could be happening? I live in remote area so not close to a Mac dealer

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 9:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 6:01 PM

Run the Apple Diagnostics.

To look for possible software issues run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. Allow EtreCheck "Full Disk Access" so that the summary of the system logs are also included.

Does it have those unexpected shutdowns if you disconnect all external devices?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2021 6:01 PM in response to Mtfotonut

Run the Apple Diagnostics.

To look for possible software issues run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. Allow EtreCheck "Full Disk Access" so that the summary of the system logs are also included.

Does it have those unexpected shutdowns if you disconnect all external devices?

Apr 27, 2021 6:59 PM in response to Mtfotonut

Mtfotonut wrote:

The apple diagnostics isn't working, does it make a difference in OS? I'm Mojave 10.4.6

You should be able to boot the diagnostics using Option + D (or perhaps even just the "D" key). It will boot to the online diagnostic and may appear to start booting into "Internet Recovery Mode". If you receive an error which mentions being unable to find "EFI/TestSupport.efi" (or something similar -- I'm doing this from memory), then it means Apple broke the diagnostics for you so they are not an option any longer unless your laptop shipped with DVDs from the factory.

Installed and ran the ETRE CHECK and it reports no problem, my battery icon is at 97% and yet it say replace battery now

Post the report here so we can examine & interpret the report for you. The report is meant to be share here on the forums so other contributors can examine it and interpret it for you. It provides us with some important information like exact model of laptop, installed drivers & apps, plus information about system performance & logs. I believe you can pay to have the developer provide you with this information (check the developer's website for details on how that works and how much it costs). Without this report we won't really be able to assist you as we are working blindly and will need to play twenty questions (probably more like hundreds which I don't have the time for doing).

MacBook Pro shuts down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.