You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why wont my iMac connect to my printer via my own wifi even though on different wifi speeds (2.4gHz vs 5gHz)?

How do I overcome connection failure between my iMac and Epson XP printer which are on same home wifi network (yup, checked both logged on properly, etc) but former is on 5GHz and latter is on 2.4GHz? Surely, shouldn't make any difference....?

Only a very recent problem, perhaps after latest macOS Big Sur update - suddenly stopped talking to one another wirelessly.

Failing that, how do I get a physical connection going?

iMac about 14 months old, printer only about 18 months old.

iMac, macOS 10.12

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 9:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 9:38 AM

Please do the following to resolve your printing issues:

1. Please uninstall all software from Epson, HP, Canon, Brother etc...
  2. Next, please Reset the printing system per the directions in the link.
  3. Finally, Add a printer on Mac per the directions in the link.

Similar questions

4 replies

Apr 26, 2021 9:44 AM in response to ice21st

Wether it makes a difference or not depends on the router. Some routers isolate the different network bands so devices on one band can't see devices on another band or devices connected via ethernet cable.

Check your router settings, to make sure it is not isolating the networks. You will need to consult your router's user guide for steps on how to access the router's Settings page.

why wont my iMac connect to my printer via my own wifi even though on different wifi speeds (2.4gHz vs 5gHz)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.