Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

McAfee and iMac Firewalls

My McAfee Total Protection is unable to turn on its firewall (McAfee Technical Support could not fix it), but I am able to turn on the firewall in Settings on my iMac. How well am I protected?

iMac Pro

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 1:36 PM

7 replies

Apr 26, 2021 1:52 PM in response to DTM81

There is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This user tip describes what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community.  

Uninstall the McAfee software according to the developer's instructions.

Apr 26, 2021 1:53 PM in response to DTM81

The best antivirus, cleaning app, and overall maintenance app for Mac OS is Mac OS itself. All you need to do with Mac OS to keep it secure and running well is to keep it up-to-date and do periodic (about 1x per week) restarts. Other than that, leave it alone. Adding third party antivirus, cleaning, security and other types of maintenance apps to Mac OS adds no additional level of security. The only thing these apps do is have the opposite affect users want. They make Mac OS slow, unstable, generate odd behavior (much like you are experiencing) and make Mac OS appear buggy.

Please locate the developers uninstall instructions for McAfee and follow to the letter. Then restart in Safe Mode per the directions in Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac and then restart normally.

McAfee and iMac Firewalls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.