Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

exporting in 4k in iMovie

Hello. I have a few questions related to exporting movies in 4k.

1. One video was shot completely in 4K, but it is not giving me the option to export at this level. Any tips?
  2. Another video was shot with partially 4k and partially on an iPhone 6s (not sure what resolution). I am wondering if it is possible to export these videos at the highest quality they were shot in. Is it possible to keep part of the video in 4k and the other in whatever it was shot in? Rather than loosing quality in the stuff that was shot in 4k...

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 4:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 5:32 PM

Set the project resolution at 4K by creating a new project and inserting a known 4K video (not photo) clip into it as the very first clip in the project. The project will then give you a 4K export option even if later inserted clips are less than 4K. You can afterwards delete the first clip and the project will remain 4K no matter what resolution other added clips may be. The only way to change the resolution would be to create a whole new project and insert a first clip with the desired resolution.

I don't believe iMovie yet supports 4K 60 fps, so your 4K export option would be 4K 30 fps.

-- Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2021 5:32 PM in response to grace910

Set the project resolution at 4K by creating a new project and inserting a known 4K video (not photo) clip into it as the very first clip in the project. The project will then give you a 4K export option even if later inserted clips are less than 4K. You can afterwards delete the first clip and the project will remain 4K no matter what resolution other added clips may be. The only way to change the resolution would be to create a whole new project and insert a first clip with the desired resolution.

I don't believe iMovie yet supports 4K 60 fps, so your 4K export option would be 4K 30 fps.

-- Rich

exporting in 4k in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.