Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I import mail from an older version of OS X?

I am in such a mess. My current operating (Catalina) system is going corrupt and I need to get another Mac. I cannot even export the mailboxes. If I get another Mac and it is on Big Sur will I be able to import my current mailboxes from a Carbon Copy Clone?

iMac Pro, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 27, 2021 5:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2021 6:18 AM

Where is your Time Machine backup of Catalina that would allow for seamless user settings and email migration with Big Sur on the new Mac by using migration assistant during the initial new Mac setup? When I setup my M1 mini, I used a Mojave TM backup and all of my email just worked as it had on Mojave.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2021 6:18 AM in response to talyiana

Where is your Time Machine backup of Catalina that would allow for seamless user settings and email migration with Big Sur on the new Mac by using migration assistant during the initial new Mac setup? When I setup my M1 mini, I used a Mojave TM backup and all of my email just worked as it had on Mojave.

Apr 27, 2021 11:58 AM in response to talyiana

I have successfully migrated from "clone" type backups to a new Mac. This should work. The caveat being that is your system is seriously corrupted, then your backup will have faithfully reproduced such corruption as well. So what you migrate over might work fine or might suffer from effects of the "corruption" you mentioned. But Migration Assistant works well with either Time Machine backups, or with clone type backups, I have used both.

Can I import mail from an older version of OS X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.