Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t reinstall OS after computer showed prohibition sign when booting

When I tried to open windows via bootcamp my Mac first showed something like “your computer restarted because of an error” and then a prohibition sign. But now after I restarted it with command + R I open reinstall macOS it shows two volumes: bootcamp and Macintosh HD, bootcamp is locked and Macintosh HD is not mounted. So is there some way I can reinstall macOS without losing the data?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Apr 27, 2021 9:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2021 11:54 AM

Ok, here's how I resolved the problem: I launched Mac in startup manager chose the disk "1" (which is the one where my system is I think, I don't even remember why is it not on default Macintosh HD) and for some reason the mac just launched normally reporting that "a third party kernel extension was preventing the machine from successfully booting".

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2021 11:54 AM in response to guuggo

Ok, here's how I resolved the problem: I launched Mac in startup manager chose the disk "1" (which is the one where my system is I think, I don't even remember why is it not on default Macintosh HD) and for some reason the mac just launched normally reporting that "a third party kernel extension was preventing the machine from successfully booting".

Can’t reinstall OS after computer showed prohibition sign when booting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.