Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing Mac OS Big Sur 14.3 Breaks the Thunderbolt Connection to QNAP NAS and Blocks Booting

I have confirmed on both a 2017 iMac Pro and a late 2019 Mac Pro 7.1 that installing Big Sur 14.3 update breaks Thunderbolt over I.P. and the Macs with Big Sur 14.3 connected via Thunderbolt to my QNAP NAS TVS-872XT will not boot. The boot progress stops and hangs about half-way through. Removing the Thunderbolt connection from the NAS to the Mac and the Mac will boot with no problems. Apple broke Thunderbolt over I.P. in Big Sur 14.0 and 14.1, then restored it in 14.2 and have now broken it again in 14.3. If you have a NAS connected via Thunderbolt, I would strongly advise against installing the Big Sur 14.3 update.

Tom

Posted on Apr 27, 2021 12:59 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 27, 2021 2:27 PM in response to VikingOSX

My apologies, I meant to say the 11.3 update. The failure is directly attributable to the Big Sur update. Thunderbolt over i.p was working perfectly in OS Catalina, failed when Big Sur 11.0 was installed. I contacted Apple Enterprise support and was finally told the problem would be corrected in a later update. Apple corrected the problem in 11.2 only to break it again in 11.3. Clearly this is an Apple issue.

Installing Mac OS Big Sur 14.3 Breaks the Thunderbolt Connection to QNAP NAS and Blocks Booting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.