Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a display port priority for the 2020 MacMini?

I have a new Mac Mini with the M1 chipset running the latest Big Sur.

I am successfully driving two monitors ( a new LG 32 inch and a 2014 Dell 5k 27"). One shows up in the Display preferences as the "primary" allowing tweaks to arrangement and Night Shift. When mirroring is not checked, it is the default screen with all open windows and the dock.

Whatever is attached to the Mini's HDMI port appears to be the primary screen. The other is attached to one of the USB-C ports and is empty (with mirroring off) until I fill it. If I make that screen active and move my cursor to the bottom, the dock appears (and disappears from the main screen). If I switch the monitor inputs, the original becomes the secondary and the other one the primary.

Is there a way to change this priority, or is the HDMI port always primary?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Apr 27, 2021 3:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2021 5:24 PM

This should be relatively easy to set. While you are in the Arrangement Tab in Display Preferences :

1. Click and hold on the white bar at the top of the current primary display, this white bar signifies the menu bar
  2. Drag the white bar across to the other monitor you want to set as the new primary display for your Mac

That should do it. Let me know if the above worked for you.

Axel F.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2021 5:24 PM in response to Richard Setterberg

This should be relatively easy to set. While you are in the Arrangement Tab in Display Preferences :

1. Click and hold on the white bar at the top of the current primary display, this white bar signifies the menu bar
  2. Drag the white bar across to the other monitor you want to set as the new primary display for your Mac

That should do it. Let me know if the above worked for you.

Axel F.

Is there a display port priority for the 2020 MacMini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.