Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod mini without wifi

Can I use the HomePod mini without wifi or internet?

Posted on Apr 28, 2021 1:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2021 7:25 AM

A Wi-Fi connection to the Internet is required to set up and configure HomePod. Once that it is done it is possible to configure HomePod for peer-to-peer AirPlay connections that can work independently of Wi-Fi.

Home app > Home Settings > Allow Speaker & TV Access > Everyone

tt2

13 replies

Jul 24, 2021 5:50 PM in response to Pieter Ratering

I think I have the answer. Namely yes, you can AirPlay to HomePods with out a wi-fi connection, but only to one HomePod at a time.

A web search brings up several articles saying that it can be done. For example:

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/homepod-no-wifi-3689756/

However, in my testing with HomePods and HomePods minis alike, only those not set up as a stereo pair would show on my AirPlay list. And I could only play to one speaker at a time - so for example if it was playing to speaker A, and I then selected speaker B, it would move the audio to HomePod B, not play to them both at once.

May 27, 2021 1:05 PM in response to gravityrebel

Ah, interesting. I must admit I do remember finding I couldn't get peer-to-peer AirPlay working with my mini's at one point but my most recent test was with my full size HomePods and there I was able to turn off my router and use the HomePods even after a power cycle. I've assumed behaviour would be the same. I'll test my minis again when I can.

tt2

HomePod mini without wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.