Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google Drive needs your approval to load your files

I got this message whenever I restart my computer. But there is nothing to approve in the Security & Privacy.

I tried to allow apps from all developers, using the terminal command. But it did not work.

I have to uninstall and reinstall google drive files stream every day. But it seems whenever I restart the computer, the message is back.

I do have a Windows side booting from an external drive and I have a google drive file stream on that side.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 28, 2021 6:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2021 7:18 AM

Steve's comment was helpful for me. I had this issue when upgrading to 11.3, and messed with it for hours and couldn't fix it. Somehow later the next day Google Drive started working. My suspicion was that some cert had to be updated, but who knows.

Then after upgrading to 11.3.1 yesterday the issue came back. The comment above from Steve put me on the right track. Here was the sequence for me:

1. Reboot.
  2. Manually open the security & privacy settings and unlock (for me I can do that with touch ID)
  3. You get the "Google Drive needs your approval ..." popup message eventually, when the startup gets to that point.
  4. I didn't see that I had any choice but to click on it. So I did.
  5. It told me that Google Drive had logged out. (Good)
  6. I clicked on the little google drive icon on the top of the screen and selected "Sign In".
  7. I popped a browser window for me to pick my google account (I have a couple, so I have to pick which one).
  8. I entered my password.
  9. It brought up the "Google Drive needs your approval ..." message again.
  10. Sure enough, the already open security and privacy repainted and had a new section of text saying something like "Allow Google Drive ..." with a check box next to it. I apologize I didn't screenshot it as I was excited to see it and Steve's note said it's only visible for a few seconds.
  11. I checked the "Allow Google Drive ..." box in the pre-opened security and privacy screen.
  12. It told me that it needed to restart to enable a "System Extension". I clicked "Restart".
  13. When the system restarted google drive sync came up and is running.

Hope this additional information is helpful.

(Another) Steve

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2021 7:18 AM in response to Quiffster

Steve's comment was helpful for me. I had this issue when upgrading to 11.3, and messed with it for hours and couldn't fix it. Somehow later the next day Google Drive started working. My suspicion was that some cert had to be updated, but who knows.

Then after upgrading to 11.3.1 yesterday the issue came back. The comment above from Steve put me on the right track. Here was the sequence for me:

1. Reboot.
  2. Manually open the security & privacy settings and unlock (for me I can do that with touch ID)
  3. You get the "Google Drive needs your approval ..." popup message eventually, when the startup gets to that point.
  4. I didn't see that I had any choice but to click on it. So I did.
  5. It told me that Google Drive had logged out. (Good)
  6. I clicked on the little google drive icon on the top of the screen and selected "Sign In".
  7. I popped a browser window for me to pick my google account (I have a couple, so I have to pick which one).
  8. I entered my password.
  9. It brought up the "Google Drive needs your approval ..." message again.
  10. Sure enough, the already open security and privacy repainted and had a new section of text saying something like "Allow Google Drive ..." with a check box next to it. I apologize I didn't screenshot it as I was excited to see it and Steve's note said it's only visible for a few seconds.
  11. I checked the "Allow Google Drive ..." box in the pre-opened security and privacy screen.
  12. It told me that it needed to restart to enable a "System Extension". I clicked "Restart".
  13. When the system restarted google drive sync came up and is running.

Hope this additional information is helpful.

(Another) Steve

May 6, 2021 11:07 AM in response to GeneralHow

I have been bashing my head with this for a few days (Updated to 11.3, then get this Google Desktop error). It could be our corporate tools (we use Carbon Black), as it doesn't seem to be a consistent issue when I ask my peers. HOWEVER - I did manage to get it working, and it's a strange one this.....

I found that instead of clicking the dialogue to "Open Security & Privacy Settings" (as per screen shot). If you have that open already, and unlocked (as admin) and visible on your desktop. Now do the thing in Google Drive to connect your account (it opens in a browser). Close the browser window straight away, then the "Google Drive needs your approval to open your files" dialogue appears. DON'T CLICK the "Open Security and Privacy Settings" - instead, on the already open Security and Privacy settings dialogue for about 4 seconds, and for about 4 seconds only! - the button to Accept "Google Inc" appears.  If you're quick enough, you can click it, a driver installs, the mac reboots and voilà!

Let me know if this works for you. Good luck.

Steve.

Google Drive needs your approval to load your files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.