Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Workarounds for lack of sub-folder support

I'm trying to find a workaround for the lack of sub-folder support for photos. For example, are there any apps that synchronise my photos with the original folder structure from my PC? I've spent quite a lot of time searching, but can't find the right solution.

iPhone 4, iOS 4, Orange UK

Posted on Jul 31, 2010 2:17 AM

13 replies

Jul 31, 2010 4:17 AM in response to NFH.

If you select the option to sync particular folders in iTunes, your photos will all be arranged in their separate "albums"

Tick "Sync folders from" and then select the main folder where your photos are.
Then tick "Selected folders" or "all folders" depending on your preference and the folders will all sync separately on the iPhone

Jul 31, 2010 4:44 AM in response to Dave Hutch

Dave Hutch wrote:
If you select the option to sync particular folders in iTunes, your photos will all be arranged in their separate "albums"

No, it doesn't work. When I synchronise, all photos are placed into the top level folders, ignoring the whole sub-folder structure. This results in thousands of photos in each top-level folder which makes it impossible to find the photos I want from a particular original sub-folder.

Aug 1, 2010 8:41 AM in response to NFH.

For windows pc's Photo albums:
1) Create a master sync folder on your pc with no photo files at the root level of the folder.
2) Create sub-folders within the master sync folder with the subfolders named what you want the ipad's photo albums to be named.
3) Place the photo files you want to sync in the appropriate subfolder within the master sync folder.
4) In itunes on the photos tab, select the master folder as the sync folder.
5) After syncing, each subfolder will be an album on the ipad with the proper photos contained there-in.

This is the best you can do without a 3rd party app.

Aug 1, 2010 9:56 AM in response to red555

red555 wrote:
For windows pc's Photo albums:
1) Create a master sync folder on your pc with no photo files at the root level of the folder.
2) Create sub-folders within the master sync folder with the subfolders named what you want the ipad's photo albums to be named.
3) Place the photo files you want to sync in the appropriate subfolder within the master sync folder.
4) In itunes on the photos tab, select the master folder as the sync folder.
5) After syncing, each subfolder will be an album on the ipad with the proper photos contained there-in.

This is the best you can do without a 3rd party app.

Then I need a third party app, but which one? I can't rearrange the folders on my PC because they are in folders, sub-folders and sub-sub-folders for very good other reasons. I can't see a good reason why iTunes syncs in this strange way, ignoring sub-folders.

Aug 2, 2010 8:07 AM in response to NFH.

You can search the itunes apps store and read the writeups and reviews on the photo management apps.

There are tons to chose from and they will perform not only your desired tasks, but much more.

Only you can tell which one is best for your specific needs.

Be advised the apps that manage the photos will probably require you to use those same apps as a viewer, too.

Aug 4, 2010 10:56 AM in response to bazmundo

bazmundo wrote:
i have exactly the same issue mate. there are apps you can download but to transfer pictures you have to send them wirelessly and it takes ages. its a shame because its such a good phone but lacks with the basic features.

If you are talking about transferring photos from the camera roll, you can do it with the usb cable to computer.
For windows, you can use File Explorer or the Digital camera wizard.
For mac, use whatever program you use to import photos to your mac from a digital camera.

Aug 9, 2010 11:13 PM in response to NFH.

Hi all. Hope this helps...

There is NO sub-folder (two or more folder levels) support in OS3x and OS4x until today. Hope this will change in near future, however that also means foregoing smoothness operation of the iDevice due to how the internal memory works inside (so far, thousands of photos can be viewed without a lag because how fast the iDevice can find the memory location of each file inside its big memory, and creating sub-folders will take great amount of time for the processor to find, put-together, and present the many photos to screen).

There are other applications that support photos with sub-folders (folders inside folders inside folders inside folders inside folders and so on), however these are not specialized photo viewing app and will not show picture thumbnails but file listing instead:
- GoodReader
- OPlayer

Two good photo and video viewing apps with privacy security; Photo Safe and Video Safe, are also available, which supports high-definition without reducing photo quality as in original iDevice, BUT does not support sub-folders (only one level folders/albums).

I was hoping iOS4 had the Sub-folders feature for its iPhoto... doesn't have to be three-folder levels, but just additional one level sub-folders would be great. 😟

Cheers!

Workarounds for lack of sub-folder support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.